Sign in to follow this  
RogerC

angry buckeye banner

It appears to be Google Adsense choosing advertisements based on site content. I'm not sure the site admins can change the add content unless it's in violation of a site policy. I'm not as up-to-date with adsense anymore as they shut my account off on a blog site because it was getting too many clicks and they thought it was fraud...shut me down over $8.00 in ad revenue :taz:

Do you have a gmail account or use google for search racerx? If you don't use google mail then clear your cookies for your browsing history. Everyone see's different ad's based on their search history among other things. I'm not sure I can block a particular ad.

I was wondering how that worked myself actually, I thought it was odd that I was seeing ads for the company I work for, or recent searches I made or junk mail I got. So RacerX is essentially the cause of his own anguish?!?!?!?

Go figure. I don't have gmail (have roadrunner) but I do use google often but haven't searched or posted on political issues. Maybe just because I'm a buckeye I guess. Thanks for shedding some light on this.

Edited by RacerX

yeah it's based on your cookies and similar sites and searches that YOU have done. For example, now I have Lighting Universe above because my wife has been looking for new Pendants for over our kitchen island.

Last week I had Motocross.com because I had been there looking at goggles.

Banners and pop ups can be based on previous browsing when you do not delete cookies. But they also can trigger off your IP address. Not the IP address you are getting from your home router but by the IP address assigned to you by your ISP. Since most ISPs are regional or use regional IP addressing it is easy for a site to look at your advertised IP address and determine that you live in a particular area. Then they simply send you ads or banner based on the regional area. This is probably why you received the Buckeye banner.

Case in point - go to my.yahoo.com and do not enter an id and password (assuming you are a Yahoo user). Notice in the local news section it will report news from the local paper. For me it's the Baltimore Sun. Well I didn't login yet (and always delete cookies on exit) so how did it know I was in the Maryland area - because my advertised IP address is from the MD area.

That does make perfect sense. I never though about our ever changing ad banners working that way but I have clicked on a link before in an email I got from my personal account while I was at work and it would have an ad that claims a local women from a nearby town in MA discovered a $5 tooth whitening process or a way to lose weight quickly and click to learn how. Later that weekend I would click on the same link in my email only from home and it now claims the women lives in a local town in NH. :sneaky2: I really hate that shit, I am sure a lot of people get dooped just because they think it's a local thing and safer by association.

Edited by Pakrat