Sign in to follow this  
ScottR

Down the Dizzy Hole

This is a photo of my 351C looking down the dizzy hole.

It appears that there has been some grinding of the seat (not sure what else to call it) next to the camshaft gear.

I'm running a comp cam 282S (solid) with a Mallory Unilite Mech Advance Dizzy (steel shaft). The gear on the dizzy looks good and I don't see any issues with the small piece of the cam gear I can see down the shaft.

I pulled the dizzy because I was seeing higher than normal timing (25 @ 900 rpm) on a routine check of my timing light.

Other than that cars starts and runs good.

I couldn't find any pictures 'down the dizzy hole' online so I would appreciate it if I could get your input on the probable cause and severity of the problem.

Thanks alot,

Scott

1969 Mach 1, 351C Stroker, 4 speed, Restomod

I honestly wouldn't sweat it, we put a dist in a friends car and it looked the same way...what do the teeth on your gear look like,?

It would seem like a good torington bearing would have been a great idea gor that flat spot but I'm sure ford knew what they were doing....I would check that total timing out tho.

Can you get a tool down in there to measure the depth of the hole it's cut....use a caliper...slide it all the way open and stick the lil rid end down in there then set the bottom of the caliper on the block and getba reading

I honestly wouldn't sweat it, we put a dist in a friends car and it looked the same way...what do the teeth on your gear look like,?

It would seem like a good torington bearing would have been a great idea gor that flat spot but I'm sure ford knew what they were doing....I would check that total timing out tho.

Can you get a tool down in there to measure the depth of the hole it's cut....use a caliper...slide it all the way open and stick the lil rid end down in there then set the bottom of the caliper on the block and getba reading

Mike,

The teeth on the dizzy look good and the total timing checked out at 37. I appreciate the caliper suggestion.

Thanks,

Scott

Measure the gear setting on the dist.

It should be 4.031-4.038 from mounting base to bottom of dist gear.

Pic seems like normal wear pattern.

Mach1,

Thank for the info. I'll measure and see what I've got.