Sign in to follow this  
stangs-R-me

Reproduction Sport Mirrors

First post, long time '69 Mustang owner and two friends of mine just bought '69-70 Mustangs.

First one got a '70 Mach 1 ... very nice car and Marti report shows it is almost as it rolled out of the factory: Grabber Blue, 351C 2V, AT, Shaker, Sport Slats, and Rear Spoiler. Only variance is it is missing the factory installed front bumper guards and now has a front spoiler.

Second one got a '69 Convertible ... have not seen in person yet.

Anyway may be installing a pair of these repro sport mirrors on this non-deluxe '69 Convertible (that currently has just a single non-remote chrome mirror on it) and I've noticed the repro mirrors have the '70 style control.

All original base '69 interior door panels had the perferations in them for the rectangular '69 style remote control, but do the reproductions ??

I guess my question is can the '70 style remote control end be adapted to a plain '69 door panel either original or repro ??

Do these repro racing mirrors come with all the parts needed or do I need a backing plate and trim nut ??

-------

Also, the 70' Mach 1 has a broken mirror remote control. His options to fix would be either to find a used e-bay mirror with a good control or buy a repro mirror assy. Will the guts from a repro mirror go into an original housing or are we going to have to paint the repro mirror housing ??

Thanks,

Doug

I bought a set of the repro mirrors. They come complete with all the hardware. When I put them side by side with a vintage mirror, I could not see any real difference. I do believe they sell them with either the 69 or 70 controls. I think you know the only difference is in the way the cable enters the control knob.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had previously just looked on CJ Pony & e-bay and only saw the "late '69-70 style 90Deg control repro's and I thought this was kind of odd.

Now did a google search and found TWO vendors selling the "early '69" style straight control repro's and price is the same. Makes sence they would offer both it's not like the straight control was a one model year odd ball.

I'd also like to add that with all the salvage yard searching I did in the 80's and all the car shows I've been to over the years I've NEVER seen an original '69 car with the '70 style mirror control factory installed !!

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

I don't think you can see any difference between the 69 and 70 mirrors once they're installed. Be careful if you try to buy some used ones from ebay or elsewhere. Several times I went to buy what were advertised as 69/70 sport mirrors only to find out they were from other cars (i.e. Maverick, Torino, etc) They look identical, but the pedestal bases are different. Checking the part number is the only way to be sure you're getting the right mirror.

Edited by maxum96

Back in the 80's when I was trying to find good used stuff in salvage yards & swap meets sport mirrors were one of the things you needed to see in person / hold in your hand and look over closely. My passenger door shuts hard and I cracked a couple of bases, so I was always looking for good replacements. Many were junk back then (bases either cracked, bent, or both, and manual and/or remote mirror adjustments not functional), so I could just imagine the real condition of a lot of the e-bay mirrors 25 years later.

The only way I'll put a set of them on this friend's car is if he agrees to the repops ... at least we know what we're getting this way (made by Scott Drake, I assume).

Doug

The only way I'll put a set of them on this friend's car is if he agrees to the repops ... at least we know what we're getting this way (made by Scott Drake, I assume).

I'm not sure who makes them. I got mine from Laurel Mountain Mustang.

I didn't think the standard interior 69s had the straight type, just the deluxe interiors. I learned the hard way last summer, and my 69 factory shop manual shows the 90 degree elbow type like the 70 versions for the standard interior in 1969.

I didn't think the standard interior 69s had the straight type, just the deluxe interiors. I learned the hard way last summer, and my 69 factory shop manual shows the 90 degree elbow type like the 70 versions for the standard interior in 1969.

I bought an all original but rusty '69 Sportsroof back in the early 80's as a parts car. Still had it's factory Candy Apple Red paint / Black std. interior, 302 / AT with factory Sport Mirrors that had the straight control with the same rectangular bezel as used on a deluxe interior car. Car also had a console, deluxe seat belts, clock, and Convience group.

Funny thing is it was NOT all that bad for a car driven in Illinois for 90k miles, but it was junk compared to my basically rust-free coupe that lived in Georgia & Viginia up until I got it in 1981. Scarry thing is a sportsroof found in this same original condition today would be a real find and definitely worth restoring.

Doug

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I have the 90 degree elbow type mirror (not realizing that two versions were made) for my car. I added them to my coupe with standard interior. How did this type originally go through the door panel for '69s? I tried using the rectangular bezel, but it makes the cables smash against the inside of the door panel.

This post confuses me because every 69 car I've seen has used the straight mirror knob with the rectangular bezel. I thought it was straightforward 69 uses the straight knob and the 70 used the 90° one. Guess I learned something new today! Below is a pic of a 69 with standard interior and the rectangular bezel, just like all of the others I've seen. Must be an early model

$%28KGrHqV,%21lME1F9%29FM4GBNYdN%21nmO%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

I should post the caveat that I saw the 90 elbow style for standard interiors in my factory shop manual, but I don't remember if I have seen them in person. Every standard interior car I have owned didn't have the sport mirror option.

Here's a post that was done a while back on how I made some electric mirrors for my '70FB. As a matter of fact I am in the process of putting on the doors. I am reassemblying the car after taking it all apart and painting it and am

about to mount the mirrors on my doors. I will give an update in the next few days.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=5977&highlight=cruzzar

my 69 coupe with standard interior has the same remote mirror control as in the pic.... i have dual sport mirrors.. only one remote on the driver side..

This post confuses me because every 69 car I've seen has used the straight mirror knob with the rectangular bezel. I thought it was straightforward 69 uses the straight knob and the 70 used the 90° one. Guess I learned something new today! Below is a pic of a 69 with standard interior and the rectangular bezel, just like all of the others I've seen. Must be an early model

$%28KGrHqV,%21lME1F9%29FM4GBNYdN%21nmO%21%7E%7E_3.JPG