Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

Alternator wiring question/no charge

What wires should be connected on my 69 w/o a tach? I have the battery and field windings connected, and it looks like a ground should be connected, but I think this may be wrong. Should anything be connected to the stator? I have a black with a red stripe wire that I'm not sure where it gets connected. Based on the wiring diagrams I think it goes to ground post so I did that, but I still can't get the alternator to charge.

I have power at the green wire with a red stripe to the regulator, and the regulator does click when I turn the key on. I pulled the alternator and had it tested and it tested strong. Also for the hell of it I swapped out the regulator, but still no dice. I also tested the ground from the alternator and touched the block and everything there is a nice solid ground. I can't figure out why this thing won't charge. Any ideas?

I will give your answer a try. I did not have my book with me yesterday. The alternator for a stang without a tach is 3 wires. There should be a 3 wire connector in the harness between your regulator and alternator. The red/blk wire is a ground wire, from the case of the alternator to the case of the regulator. The blk wire should be the +12 volts wire, and the orange wire goes from the alternator to the regulator. The orange is the wire to the rotor, which tells the alternator to put out power.

My information is the green/red wire should run from your voltage regulator to the ignition switch. It should have 12 volts on it when the swith is in the run or start position, so this is ok. When your switch is on without the motor running, you should also have +12volts on the orange rotor wire. This tells the alternator to put out power. If there is no voltage on the orange wire, the regulator is not telling the alternator to put out any power.

With the key in the run position and the motor off, you should have some voltage ont eh orange wire. Check both ends, where it attaches to the regulator and where it attaches to the alternator.

Verify the black wire on your alternator has +12 volts on it when the swith is on. If it does not, this wire has a problem.

GOod luck,

Danno

I will give your answer a try. I did not have my book with me yesterday. The alternator for a stang without a tach is 3 wires. There should be a 3 wire connector in the harness between your regulator and alternator. The red/blk wire is a ground wire, from the case of the alternator to the case of the regulator. The blk wire should be the +12 volts wire, and the orange wire goes from the alternator to the regulator. The orange is the wire to the rotor, which tells the alternator to put out power.

My information is the green/red wire should run from your voltage regulator to the ignition switch. It should have 12 volts on it when the swith is in the run or start position, so this is ok. When your switch is on without the motor running, you should also have +12volts on the orange rotor wire. This tells the alternator to put out power. If there is no voltage on the orange wire, the regulator is not telling the alternator to put out any power.

With the key in the run position and the motor off, you should have some voltage ont eh orange wire. Check both ends, where it attaches to the regulator and where it attaches to the alternator.

Verify the black wire on your alternator has +12 volts on it when the swith is on. If it does not, this wire has a problem.

GOod luck,

Danno

Awesome, thanks I'll check all this tonight. Also is it true that the factory regualtor may not be able to handle a 100 amp alternator? I've been running 5k miles this way and not had an issue, but one of my buddies said that it shouldn't be working.

The 100 amp alternator shouldn't cause any problem, but there could be something going on I might not be aware of.

The way it works, the regulator is continuously monitoring the voltage on the battery. If it gets low, it turns on the alternator to charge the battery. When it gets high enough, it stops charging the battery. The problem could be that when the voltage is low, the regulator turns on the alternator to charge. The alternator turns on, but because it is a 100 amp version, it puts out a higher voltage than a 60 amp alternator. The high voltage it puts out tells the regulator the voltage is high enough, and it shuts it off. So you are constantly turning the alternator on and off. This is hard on the regulator and would cause it to fail sooner than normal.

If you had a normal 60 amp alternator, the regulator would turn it on, but it might take several minutes for the voltage to get to where it needs to be. It does not turn on and off as often as it would with a 100 amp alternator.

Just wanted to post up and thank you for the help. I figured out the probelm, the BRAND NEW harness I got has a broken terminal on the black wire. So I e-mailed the company today to see what they can do, but finally my baby will be back on the road!!!:punk: