Sign in to follow this  
Dave_Mustang_50

Ford Racing 427 Windsor

Well it's pretty new still so there probably aren't too many people with first hand knowledge. They're offering an aluminum block version soon but I can't afford the iron one much less the aluminum version so it's just a fantasy for me.

In my fantasy i buy the aluminum block variant, and it shows up at my door delivered by two beautiful naked babes. They volunteer to help me install it, and insist that they always work on cars in the buff.

actually, the aluminum one is 13k and is out.

the iron block is just over 8k.

According to Ford, the Boss 351 block can be stroked to 460. Truthfully, the wear of the block at 427 kinda scares me, which was the reason for this post. Interesting enough is the fact that they are made from the same metal content as the power stroke diesels for strength and longevity. The question I have is - is that enough for a street car that will be driven alot?

actually, the aluminum one is 13k and is out.

the iron block is just over 8k.

I read the same recently. I know it's a stout block, and light, sleeved cylinders of course. It should certainly handle the higher rod angularity and higher frictional forces from that and piston speed better than a stock Windsor block of any year. For longevity for a street engine though I would still watch that the rod ratio doesnt get too low though. Depending on their components, I dont know what theirs are on this one. I'd guess that they're in the 1.7-1.9 range maybe, if so that's fine IMO. Originally, stroker builders shot for 2.0 but with better components and better balancing many builders push monster big blocks as low as 1.4 (of course they wear quickly and this is for racing).

Nice comp ratio at 10.5:1; will probably like 91 octane for the street.

The first article that I read about it, Hemmings I think it was, mentioned hydraulic cam but didnt specify roller, I hope/ think this was an oversight.

The heads and cam combo didnt get any rave reviews but I bet since they are warranting it, they picked a combo that made max hp/torque at a slightly lower rpm than it could really be pushed.

Let is know if you hear any practical experience anywhere.

Well it's pretty new still so there probably aren't too many people with first hand knowledge. They're offering an aluminum block version soon but I can't afford the iron one much less the aluminum version so it's just a fantasy for me.

In my fantasy i buy the aluminum block variant, and it shows up at my door delivered by two beautiful naked babes. They volunteer to help me install it, and insist that they always work on cars in the buff.

Stay out of my fantasy, mine has one of those 351C aluminum blocks though.

Anyone lookin for a 351 Cleveland? I just ordered the 427w from Jegs.:w00t:

I called the Ford racing Tech line and they were very informative as far as the testing this engine was put through. Also, I wasnt aware that it had a 4 inch stroke unlike some others I saw with over 6 inches.

It should be drop shipped on thursday, and I will post the pics shortly after. One strange thing I spoke to the Tech about is the intake manifold they recomend for this engine. Its a Victor Jr and is rated for 4500 - 8 rpm. Needles to say, I didnt order that intake, I went with an airgap dual plane. hopefully it will clear the hood.

Anyone lookin for a 351 Cleveland? I just ordered the 427w from Jegs.:w00t:

I called the Ford racing Tech line and they were very informative as far as the testing this engine was put through. Also, I wasnt aware that it had a 4 inch stroke unlike some others I saw with over 6 inches.

No no no, 6 inch"ish" rod length range, not stroke! 6" stroke is impossible in a Windsor based block. Most stroker kit combos for these bump the 3.5" stroke up to 4 to 4-1/4" range...it depends on the rod journal offset of the crank and which piston you use of course.

So did you order the iron boss block engine? The cam specs on that one are available on Ford Racing's web site. With 427 cubes, I can understand why they recommended the Vic Jr. I would expect you would have plenty of torque throughout the useable rpm range even with the tall single plane.