flight96

Shelby Gauge Pod Installation

Good Day All,

I am trying to install my console with the Shelby gauge pod where the ashtry used to be, but I seem to be missing something. It sits way too high. The problem seems to be the piece that sits on the shifter bezel. It seems to be too high. It's the only part that I replaced on the console, the rest is all original. Im wandering if they sent me the wrong part. What is the difference between a manual shift and auto shift ?? Im guessing that one is a bit higher than the other ??? Anyone know ? Im talking about the insert that has the seatbelt inserts and goes up and around the shifter.

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Auto or stick I believe all the ash trays were the same. You did remove the ash tray lid and the ash tray itself? I had installed one in my project at one point without any problem. I have since installed a new cluster. Something must be impeding it's ability to fit flush in the opening. It should sit flush with the shift plate and be secured with a screw or two from underneath. It's possible you got a bad repro too....

The pod fits fine in the console, rather nice fit actually, but when I try to put the whole console back in it wants to sit on the shifter bezel...Thus making the guage pod sit too high. That why Im wondering if the insert I have is for a manual shifter. Because they don't have the bezel with the PRND12 on the tunnel.

Well I haven't had any time to look at it anymore, hopefully tonight. But I think my problem may be with the carpet/underlay. I think that the extra thickness with the dynamat and the new carpet may be causing me some grief.

On another issue with this, of the people who installed mechanical temp gauges, did you need to drill a new hole in the firewall or did you find a place to get through that already existed? I would hate to have to drill a new hole, but the connection for the gauge is rather large and I can't seem to see any other way of doing it.

I have the manual trans insert and the "Shelby like" gauge pod and it does not cause the console to sit too high. You have some other problem. My gauge pod sits just below the AC control knob. Maybe you don't have the console forward enough?

I think the problem he's having is getting the shifter opening to sit properly around the automatic shift bezel. I don't think the manual console top will fit correctly around the automatic shift bezel. Perhaps it could be trimmed in some manner to work. When I was using the shelby pod the temperature control lever had to be bent upwards slightly to clear the pod.

Thanks all for your reply's. I finally got it almost to where I like it. I had to shave some off of the shifter bezel. It was hanging up on the shifter plate (See arrows in pic below). Also, the back of the gauge pod was pushing up against the heater bezel, so I shaved a bit off of the back of that as well. No matter what the parts, ya really have to be able to modify things when ya do a resto on these cars !!! I may shave a bit more off the back of the gauge pod so it slds a bit further under the heater controls.

I could be a bit off, but it looks like the console needs to slide toward the dash another 1/2". I don't recall the shifter being that close to the dash in relation to the console opening. I don't have an automatic anymore, otherwise I'd snap a pic for you.

When I had to install my console, I removed the two screws just to the rear of the woodgrain insert and lifted the entire shifter plate off. I then installed the console base, then after the console was in place I dropped the shifter assembly into place along with the shelby pod.

Hey Buening,

You are correct about the 1/2". Also, that's the way I have been 'test installing' the console. But the pod hits the heater control bezel just near the top of the pod. I still believe that is due to the carpet, underlay and sound/heat barrier that I have under the carpet. If I push down fairly hard on the front of the console I can manage to just slip it under. But that worries me for future cracks. I would rather shave it off a bit so there is no pressure on the plastic.

My heater control lever/knob for the temp hits the gauge bezel on mine. You are saying your pod is actually hitting the camera case bezel though, hmm. Can't promise anything, but I'll try to take a peek at mine when I get off work and see how mine looks.

Every picture I'm finding with the console has the front edge of the shelby cup insert even with the lip of the heater bezel. Below are what I have here at work, with one not having the shelby insert but shows the front edge of the shifter in relation to the heater bezel. None of these are my cars.

DSCN1605ew.jpg

1970Boss4290013.sized.jpg

7b_31.sized.jpg

1d_35.sized.jpg

Well I have it all figured out and installed...for the most part. I just have to screw it in now, but it fits fairly well now and everything is working. The oil pressure gauge came with a hard plastic line that i changed to a copper line. I just don't trust those plastic lines. I will post a few pics when I get home tonight. The heater controls just miss the top of the pod. But I am happy with it. After all the work rebuilding this damn console it's nice to finally have it in and working !!

Thanks to all who posted pics and gave advice. It is, as always, greatly appreciated !!:thumbup1:

Cheers !!

A little tip if you don't have it all done, slip the copper line through a vacuum hose for more abrasion resistance and resistance to kink. I forget what size line I used, but it fit very tight around the copper line. In fact I had to lube up the copper so it'd go through the rubber hose!

Glad you got it all figured out!