Sign in to follow this  
Scott

I am getting 16 volts ????

1969 Mach 1 351 Windsor

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I am getting 16 volts to the inside of the car when I start it, 13 when it is not started. Changed the regulator out 3 times and still the same problem. Started looking at the wiring to the regulator and it did not look good. Bought a aftermarket plug to rewire it, but there are a couple of wires not even attached. I have a Chiltons and a 69 electrical(Jim Osbourn) manual, but they are not very good as far as detail, colors, etc. This is my first project, so I am definetly just learning. Any suggestions about the 16 volts and possibly a better wiring diagram would be great. Also, my fan motor keeps blowing breakers, could the 16 volts have anything to do with this?:crying:

Thanks,

Scott

Sound like you have a ground issue. Ground can do some odd thing to electrical systems. Start with you battery connections and then the ground to the block and chassis. Disconnect and clean all the contacts even if they look good. It can hide behind them. Also make sure that your alternator and regulator are grounded properly.

Good luck,

Neil

Here's a couple shots of my regulator. Are you sure your volt meter is accurate? You shouldn't see 13v with the engine off. If you turn your lights on for a few seconds, then off again, does it still read that high?

Thank you for your response!!! Would anyone have any close up pictures of a VR and solenoid wired-up. I think I have some colors that do not match up with my wiring diagram.

Time to unwrap the harness and trace the wires and connections from the alt to reg and not rely on color code.

Poor grounding from the alt to reg can cause overcharging.

Thanks to all for the responses, plus the pictures. This all started with blowing a couple of radios. Someone told me 16 volts is enough to blow a radio. Does any of this make sense. And I will check my volt meter this weekend. Thanks again!!!!!

As mentioned, first check the voltmeter to see that it is accurate. If you are blowing fuses, it is probably ok. Your battery could be 13 volts if it is overcharged, but will not be that way for long. Put the voltmeter on it and turn the lights on for 2 minutes and watch voltmeter. It should drop to abotu 12.5 volts.

The Next I would check the grounds, as recommended. A good clean connection on both ends of both battery cables is the first place to start. Next verify the wire from the engine block to the firewall is good. Take a jumper cable and connect one end of the black wire to the minus terminal of the battery, and the other to the bolts that hold in the voltage regulator. Then start it and see what the voltage is.

I am not sure what I did but I am getting 12.5 volts in car. I cleaned the connectors on back of alternator.???? Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Next question-- I turn on the fan motor and it blows a fuse within a few seconds. It was installed when I bought the car, but I am pretty sure it is upgraded A/C equipment. Back to my standard saying---Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Scott

Make sure your fan motor is turning freely. Motors that are obstructed and prevented form turning will draw excessive current and blow fuses. Of course, it could be a simple short to ground, which would also draw excessive current.