Sign in to follow this  
ewpilot

69 Vin number question

Hi everyone. First post for me but all of your threads have been helpful to me over the years.

I have a question on the vin on my 69 fastback.

I have had this car for 15 years and just began to disassemble it for my second restoration.

I purchaced the car as a stripped down 4 speed fastback that had a 351 C which I removed before purchacing it. Put back in a Windsor.

The Vin plate in the window is stamped 9F02H199571. 69 fastback 351w two barrel production number 199571.

Deerborne Michigan car May 16th production date.

All of that is streight forward. Heres the catch. I removed the fenders and am getting ready to pull the motor. I noticed a vin stamped into the fender apron. That vin was 9F02G199571with a Star stamped next to it. Same on both sides.

69 fastback Boss302 production number199571.

My best guess is that maybe it was assembled to be a Boss 302 and then changed to a standard fastback.

What do I have? What could I have? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Eric

I am pretty positive that it has never been changed. The story with the car was that it was taken off of the road in 74 stripped and never finished. I found it in an old gerrage in NY in 96. Basically a frame on blocks. I did get the doors with correct tags though. Silver Jade covered in orange primer and gutted. Everything that was on the car was pretty solid except for a small area on the trunk drop offs and a bit or rot around the tail lights.

My daily driver for 10 years. The only thing in the prenump.

The production number matches it is just the engine code thats different. Weird, but it would be great if there is a story there somewhere.

Thanks for the reply.

There are a couple of possibilities I can think of. Do you have the wrap around shock towers? If not, then it could have been scheduled to be a Boss 302 as a particular car in the line, but when they found that the car in that position had the regular production shock towers installed, they simply created a new VIN for the only one that counts for registration and dropped a readily available engine in the bay. Clearly it's a mistake of some kind, so it could just have been stamped wrong on the fender aprons by someone not paying attention. Monday after a big party weekend, one too many brewskies.

One way to find out for sure since the production number can only belong to one car. Send an email to Kevin Marty telling him what you told us, tell him you are interested in getting a Marty report but aren't sure which number is correct, he can tell you which way it exists in the database. You could then decide not to get the report I suppose if you wanted to.

69Gmachines theory is probably the case but can you imagine if this was actually a once stolen boss (in NY, nah) that got stripped and the vin that everyone can see altered and then tucked away and forgotten about?!?!?!?!? Hmmm. It's happened before.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/bay-area-news/ci_17161700

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23746029/ns/us_news-wonderful_world/

Thanks, that is a good idea. I have always wanted to do that anyway, just never got around to it. All of the tags on the car...door window and on the rt front radiator bracket all have 9F02H. I am sure that it was a wrong stamping but it cant hurt to check. Maybe thats why I got it for $800 bucks 15 years ago. Its a Ford so you never know what they did back then. For all I know it could have been the stock Cleveland that I yanked out of it....but thats a discussion I am staying far away from.

Thanks again for all of the input...I will call and post what I find out.

This is a potentially disasterous quality control issue at ford. Title issues are such a pain in the a**. It is my understanding, depending on what state you live in, that the VIN stamped on the frame (or the shock tower for the mustang) is the one that belongs to the car.

What about the side scoops? does it have them? The boss 302's did not.

Yes it has the side scoops. Everything points to standard fastback. Manual everything etc.

I called Marti and was advised to order two reports. The production number which generates a report is the correct vin and is in Fords records. The other vin will come back with nothing.

I will have to wait on this one. Not getting my hopes up. I was going to bring my 351W to the speed shop to get redone tomorrow...I may wait to see the report.

Thanks again. What state is that again?:)

Jim Smart, who started a Mustang Registry about 25 years ago has seen this before...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/newsletters/mump_0209_ford_mustang_vin_number_mistake/index.html

Kinda neat you've got one.

That's a nice little find in their archives, well done! Even though it's 9 years old you should contact them with your find ewpilot once you settle it as they suggest at the bottom of the article.

I plan on doing that, looked them up today but I did not get around to writing them. I should have paid the extra 20 bucks to get the report done the next day. Did not think it would take very long...looks like I should get the e mail on the 2nd.

Motor is pulled though and off to the machine shop. Its been a long time since it has been in its current condition. I have a pretty good feeling it is not going to be on the road in two weeks as originally planned. If it turns out to have any Boss heritage this is going to turn into a long resto.

Bust out the media blaster and welder this may take a while. :)

Hehe- fun Ford stuff- My stang has No VIN stampings on the inner fenders (before someone says they were replaced- the sheetmetal is all original, no cuts, fact spot welds etc. In fact there are date codes stamped there and they match the car and all the other dates) Crazy how we all have weird stuff with VINs; FWIW- I hope yours is a real Boss

Hi everyone. I received my Marti Report yesterday. The Vin that came back was the standard fastback H code. I think we all figured it would....

Silver Jade

3 speed

Exterior decor group.

I guess it was a bad stamping or a chasis that was out of sinc on the assembly line. Whatever the case was it's kinda still cool and it got me excited for a few days.

I definetely can not wait to get the restoration going again...rolling resto, I cant bare to put it on blocks or a lift for two years again when I work on it. I have it to drive it.

I have never wanted to put a stripe kit or advertise my car for something it is not...but I have been thinking that a ghost Boss stripe or shadow may be in order to pay tribute to Fords many quirks and mistakes. Well see:)

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.