Sign in to follow this  
bwilson13087

C4 won't go into gear

I was out driving today and my car started running weird. It seems like the c4 automatic tranny isn't wanting to stay in gear. Normally I can feel the car go into when I shift from park to drive or reverse etc. Now there's no change. However, if I give it some gas it will jump into gear, which caused quite a few burn outs. Checked my levels and everything is fine. Linkages are moving appropriately. Any ideas?

check the Transmission Vacuum Modulator and the vacuum hose that goes to it. Sometimes the Hose that goes there is cracked or torn of old age causing a Vacuum leak which will make the tranny not shift right.

Im not to savvy with workin on trannys. How big of a project is that? I'm in the navy and I'm getting deployed for 6 months next week, so I don't have time to be pulling out the tranny and doing anything too major. It kinda acts like it's stuck in a high gear but it acts the same when I go in reverse. Where I have to give it a lot of gas to get it to move.

Had an idea... I had pulled the engine and did a rebuild. I also took off the torque converter just to check it out and had a lot of tranny fluid come out. I tried to refill it the best I could before I reinstalled it. Should I have done anything else after it was all back together? Like I said before, I have added more tranny fluid to it since then and level is back to where it should be.

..did you drive the car after the put the engine back in ? Are you sure that you installed the torque converter the right way ? You have to spinn the converter while you are pushing him towards the tranny....the converter has to sit properly to insure

the oilpump is working correct.

Greetings Juergen

I was out driving today and my car started running weird. It seems like the c4 automatic tranny isn't wanting to stay in gear. Normally I can feel the car go into when I shift from park to drive or reverse etc. Now there's no change. However, if I give it some gas it will jump into gear, which caused quite a few burn outs. Checked my levels and everything is fine. Linkages are moving appropriately. Any ideas?

If you didn't check the tran fluid level while it was sitting level warm and running in park, Then it could have been low a pint or so causing your raise of rpm to get it to engage.

Edited by Mach1Rider

I had this similar problem last year, my problem was whenever my dad blew the govener out a long time ago, he just put a new one in the tranny and didnt clean or check the rest of the tranny out when he put everything back to gether, And this time mine didnt want to engauge in any gear. Park was the main problem, so after i dropped the pan and i found really tiny shavings in the pan and once i took the filter off i found chunks of what was left of the previous govener, spring and all. Slapped a new filter in, filled it full of fluid and problem solved!