Sign in to follow this  
schultzy69

2.79:1 to 4.11 gears?????

Hey everyone i have been thinking about swapping out the stock 2.79:1 ratio with a 4.11 but i dont want it to be at 3500 rpms at 60mph. But i really want the torque. Right now i have 15x8.5 rims with 275 60 r15 tires that stand 27'' tall and a 4 speed toploader. With the 2.79 ratio it feels like im starting out in second gear every time i take off. My car is just a weekend warrior so im not to worried about long trips on the hwy. Does anyone have a setup like mine? How would it be on the street? Or maybe a 3.74:1 would be better?And suggestions would be gladly appreciated!!!

Edited by schultzy69

...i had the 4,11: 1 rear....sucks ! Specialy on the German Autobahn... 60 mph with arround 3600 ..or even more rpm....

went back to the "stock 3,25 : 1..... better.. finaly I went for the 3,00 : 1...

For me the best combo ( 351 W 4 V ..with some upgrades, C 6 with 2000 stall and shift kit...

Greetings Juergen

3.00 or 3.25 would be my choice. I have everything you need brand new never installed for a 3.00 swap into a small bearing 31 spline 9"(purchased from Currie), let me know, could make you a solid deal.

Not much change going from a 2.79 to a 3.00 gear. I ran 3.70 gear on the street with my FMX and C6 and it wasn't bad. When I did 4.11, and later 4.56 gears on the street, that wasn't fun. But no one beat me at stop light racing once I put the 4,000 stall converter in with the 4.56 gears! :w00t:

For a weekend car, going more than the 3.70's will be too much for street driving, unless you are just going from stoplight to stoplight and not wishing to pass the next fuel station.

I'm running a 3.5 rear and the 4spd with good off the line results and fair freeway speeds rpm.

Last long run it adv 16.8 mpg at 70mph.

Thanks for all the comment guys. I decided to go with a 3.50:1 ratio instead of a 4.11. I think it will go better with my setup and plus i got a really good deal on a ring and pinion.

Also does anyone have a good HOW TO on a ring and pinion swap? I have found a couple but there not specific to a 9''. I have done a lot of research so im not 2 worried about the swap but It would be nice to here some good advice before i tear apart my 3rd member.....

Having run all different gear ratios from 2.79 to 4.56 in vintage Mustangs, I think you made a good choice with the 3.50 gears.

You need the correct tools to install the gears. You'll need a dial indicator and a magnetic base for it. Also I would buy a 9" kit that includes all the pinion shims, crush collar, and marking compound to set your gears up. It's not hard to do. But if you don't do it right, you'll have all kinds of problems.

I have a brand new 3.55 from Richmond with installation kit I would be willing to sell if your interested. IMO I have 4.11 in my 69 FB and even with a 4R70W 4 speed with OD 4.11 still suck I do about 2300 RPM at 65 MPH on the highway

Hey everyone i have been thinking about swapping out the stock 2.79:1 ratio with a 4.11 but i dont want it to be at 3500 rpms at 60mph. But i really want the torque. Right now i have 15x8.5 rims with 275 60 r15 tires that stand 27'' tall and a 4 speed toploader. With the 2.79 ratio it feels like im starting out in second gear every time i take off. My car is just a weekend warrior so im not to worried about long trips on the hwy. Does anyone have a setup like mine? How would it be on the street? Or maybe a 3.74:1 would be better?And suggestions would be gladly appreciated!!!

I went from 2.73's to a 4.10 in my 92 with a 5 speed and it revs at 2,500 at 70 . That extra gear drops the rpm's about 600 . If you want that much gear I would recommend swapping trannies . 5 speed or AOD . I can drive mine anywhere I want and in hot weather too .

I went from 2.73's to a 4.10 in my 92 with a 5 speed and it revs at 2,500 at 70 . That extra gear drops the rpm's about 600 . If you want that much gear I would recommend swapping trannies . 5 speed or AOD . I can drive mine anywhere I want and in hot weather too .

Ya i decide to go with 3.50 gears instead of the 4.11's.I think it will go good with my setup. i got the gears in the mail but now im just waiting on the rebuild kit.