Sign in to follow this  
Impuls

Question and need of experience

Hello guys, I'm new here been looking for a really good Mustang forum. Seeing I just bought one for a project. I got an all original 1969 Mustang 250 Inline 6.

I have the question to just try to build the 250 up? or drop a bigger engine into it.

Everyone that I've told I have it always ask or say I should drop a 302 in it.

But I just wanna know if it's really worth it. And what would the best way going about it.

Thanks guys, I hope you can help.

I'll post pictures if you want to see what I'm working with

Here are pictures [CLICK]

Edited by Impuls
Added link for pictures

Grabber's counter Q is essential to get good help and opinions here. That said, you've found more than a "really good Mustang forum" by coming here. The guys here are helpful, polite, and extremely knowledgeable.

So, if you give us something to hang our hat on (like what are your plans for the car), you'll get tons of good stuff...promise.

Welcome.

Good good. I'm glad to hear it, Well my first intentions were to full restore it all factory to try to sell it back for good money. But right now, after realizing the amount of time and dedication it's going to take.

I think I really want it for it to be mine, for joyriding, and some race/dragging here and there. Maybe some show's but I like to use the power instead of let it sit, ya know?

This is my first project car, probably over my head with it, haha but I think I can pull threw it

I'll say from the get-go that I'm just a few steps above novice and many of the guys here have restored every nut and bolt on these cars, but I can offer some advice.

First, as cool as it is to restore this old cars, I don't know anybody who would say they made any money, let alone "good money" in the process. Parts are expensive and if you hire out for certain things (body, paint), you'll pay big. Even if you do all the work yourself, your hourly rate will hover around $.05.

The reality is, it just doesn't pay and you should do it for the "fun", the hobby, or the love of cars. There's a crapload of satisfaction to be had, but I really don't think there's dough in it.

I just re-read this and it sounds negative. This is an awesome hobby and I strongly encourage you to plunge in...I'm just saying don't expect to get paid. Try to break even! :)

If you're going true restoration, keep your motor as a numbers matching car is going to score more points. If you're warming up to the idea of a "restomod", the sky is the limit. If you're serious about racing it or just getting on it, I can tell you'll get tired of that straight 6 pretty quick.

Post some pictures when you can. I'm sure the fellas here will fill your head full of great ideas. The more clarity you have on what you want, the better the info will be.

Good luck.

Tom

step 1: The only way to make any $ is if you walk into a deal, steal one or spend countless hours looking and talking about them with everyone until you become THE local Mustang guy and people call you when one pops up and have the knowledge and not to overpay and will power to walk away. Then, you've paid with an investment in time anyway.

step 2: You have to do minimal work and do it all yourself. ie: get it running, redo interior, a few body panels or bumpers, brakes, maybe solve some electrical gremlins, etc.

step 3: you have avoid the love you have to give the car what it deserves and fix it ALL right ALL at once. I fail on this step. I just cant do it on these cars.

Anyway, you can make the same torque as a stock 302 with the 250 actually. You need a better intake (they had horrible flow), a bigger carb (they were made for fuel economy, some head work (plenty of steel there to play with), better exhaust (there's tons of room).

I guess my suggestion would be decide what you want to do with it and set a budget and then work on an overall plan, getting quotes for parts along the way and most of all be realistic about what you can do yourself... u know your ability and "sticktoitivness." Anything over your head and you will spend too much, not finish, or it will take so long that other things in life will be in the way before it is done. Yes you can learn along the way, etc but havign to sell an unfinished car for whatever reason is almost always a sure way to lose money.

Ohh yes don't get me wrong. I'm doing it for the love of doing it and learning more and just the experience in doing it myself. I think yes I do want to lean more into racing it, I agree that I'd probably get tired of the straight 6.

Thinking about 302 or 351W, Mainly the 351 I think. I'll be keeping the 250 tho if I do a swap, just in case.

As of now, I'm trying to get the 250 started, I've replaced the battery, starter, starter relay, coil, fuel pump. I need to replace the carb, and I need to replace the condenser, points, rotor button, spark plugs. I have all the parts besides the carb, I don't know what to put on it?

I'm trying to learn how to put in and adjust points gap and dwell as well too. I need to find out what they need to be. I think the gap is .25

Here some pictures for you guys

0115111540.jpg

0115111540a.jpg

0115111541.jpg

0115111541a.jpg

Edited by Impuls