Sign in to follow this  
Rcodenewf

Another 70 Mustang Convert Restoration

Thanks latoracing. Yes, looking at this car in my driveway who would have guessed that this much rust existed in this beast.

I cut out the outer rocker extension as it too was rusted out and showed signs of a previous poor repair.

The replacement piece is 67-68 specific but with a few tweaks it fit the 70 just fine. The most critical part is ensuring that the lower fender bolt hole is in the right place.

I coated the inside of the new extension with Eastwoods rust encapsulator , sprayed the edges with weld thru primer and plug welded it in. Then i coated it with metal etch primer.

The outer cowl showed no signs of rust whatsoever so i stripped it to bare metal, cleaned it with acetone and metal etch primed it.

John

Edited by Rcodenewf

Next came the inner rocker which was totally rusted out. I coated the interior of the outer with rust preventative paint after wire wheeling and degreasing it.

I coated the inside of the rocker with encapsulator and sprayed the outside with metal etch.

Rosette welded in the rocker and sprayed it with primer.

Next comes mocking up the drivers side apron assembly.

Thanks...John

Edited by Rcodenewf

Here's an update on the convertible progress:

A previous poor repair to the firewall necessitated that i cut out a large area and form a new patch. To form the bulge to match the one in the firewall i used some square tubing i had. I scribed a straight line on the sheet and then centered the scribe marks on the square tubing holding it in place with a small tack at each end.

Then with a small torch i heated the edges of the sheetmetal and formed it slowly down over the tubing with my body hammer. I think it turned out pretty good. Final trimming on the bottom will be done when i put the toe board into position.

....John

Next came the torque box. Of course as with the passenger side torque box i had to weld on two small strips to make the box fit. I installed a separate tab under the frame rail edge for the top of the torque box to rest on. Then it fit perfectly.

I coated the inside with metal etch primer and rosette welded it to the bottom of the inner rail and the side of the front frame rail. After some massaging it fit pretty good.

Next are mods to the top of the box.

....John

Edited by Rcodenewf

Finished up the top of the torque box. I had made a template of the old torque box so i think the placement of the brake cable hole and dimmer switch screw holes are pretty accurate.

Sprayed the top of the box with etch primer. Inside got metal etch primer and 3m undercoating.

I cleaned inside the trans cross member with a die grinder and a wire wheel. Degreased it with acetone and then sprayed it with a rust preventative coating.

Next is fitting the drivers side suspension/apron assembly.

John

Edited by Rcodenewf

I haven't posted pics of the progress in a while. It's been an on and off resto due to health issues etc. but it's slowly coming along well.

I replaced the full drivers side frame rail/apron assembly as well as the rad support and strut arm brackets.

Repairs to the rear framerail. I drilled a seres of 3/8 plug weld holes on the remaining framerail as well as on the new piece. I cut "fishplates" for inside the new piece , plug welded it , slid it into the existing framerail and plug welded it as well.

Then i welded the seam solid and ground it smooth.

Next came the holes in the cowl area at the left and right lower windshield area.

I repaired the passenger side first taking a template of the drivers side and reversing it.

The rust was all the way through three layers so they had to be repaired from the bottom up with primers between each coat.

John

Thanks Allan. Hopefully i can stay at it this time and finish it up.

I see you've been a member for a while now. I haven't been in Grunthal in a while. What car do you have? John

I have a red '69 Mach I... hasn't seen the road since '97 when I parked it to start a full resto on it. I'll start a build thread later this year when I get some momentum going. Should be coming off the rotisserie in a couple of months.

Allan

That's awesome Allan. I have a 69 acapulco blue fastback that i totally restored and an unrestored original 69 Acapulco blue mach1, R code, 4speed that i've had for over 14 years. I've had the fastback longer.

Hope to see your Mach1 one of these days.

Regards....John