Sign in to follow this  
Rcodenewf

Another 70 Mustang Convert Restoration

Pics of the finished rear torque box repair.

Prior to finally welding it in, all surfaces were ground down to bare metal, coated with epoxy primer, weld thru primer at the overlaps and the interior portion of the box was primed and coated with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator.

....John

Next came the passenger floor. I cut the old one out with the intention of a butt weld at the trans tunnel and of course plug or 'rosette' welded at the frame support, inner rocker, toe board and rear torque box.

The fit was pretty decent with the exception of the dip in the floor in the left rear corner near the seat belt. It wasn't as deep and i'll get into that with the other pics of the lower floor support.

The lower floor support fit the contour of the floor forward but to the rear it didn't fit too well.

So i cut the side of the flange lengthways pried it down and trial fit the pan. With the lower portion temporarily tacked to the floor pan i raised the pan corner up to the correct height and tack welded a small strap across the gap to hold the correct distance.

Then i buttwelded in a strip, finish grinding it on the outside and then running a bead on the inside. The inside is not visible so no need to grind. Besides it gives it much more strength.

The pan was cleaned with acetone, scuffed with a roloc and scotbrite pad and then epoxy primed and coated with encapsulator.

Last of the support pics.

Next i plan on levelling the car down and removing everything on the drivers side that i just replaced on the passenger side as well as a full drivers side apron/shocktower assy.

Thank you....john

just got the seat pans FINALLY !!!! so I will play around with those maybe next weekend. also got the TMI seat covers and will take a stab at that too. Went and picked up my 3 colour choice panels and will mull that over the summer.

I recall a while back reading that someone discovered that their new seat pans were missing an inner brace that goes on the under side. They had to go digging for the cut out parts in a dumpster months later to try and salvage the original to modify it. Not sure what the brand was or if this would be the case with you but just a heads up in case you want to apply some extra care in removing yours. I know when I don't plan on reusing something I tend to hack it out the easiest way possible with little to no regard for its condition.

Been a while since i posted any updated pics on the convertible. The metal work on the passenger side is basically done.

Below pics show the drivers side front torque box and floor and the condition it was in...nasty.

More pics coming...thanks...John

And the torque box which nearly fell out in pieces. It was totally rotten and it appeared that someone had done a poor repair on the floor over the torque box and at the firewall. A section of the firewall will have to be cut out.

..John

I discovered a rusted area at the left kick panel just forward of the vent area. After cutting out the rusted area i made a template of the area and transferred that over to new metal. I buttwelded that new patch in and sprayed the front and back of it with metal etch primer.

The opening in the vent provided me access to the back of the welds for hammer dolly work and priming.

....John