rwcstang

anvil auto carbon fiber parts for 69-70 mustangs

The fenders really are quite subtly flared. The whole fender slightly bulges out rather than just at the wheel lip arc. I'm going to mildly flare the rear with metal before I paint it again. I could probably get another 1-1/2" of wheel width up there which could mean a 275 up front. Of course that would probably eat up my weight reduction from those fenders, right? I'm going with some lighter rims though, so with the extractor hood on the way too, I think I'll be way ahead.

IMG_3603.jpg

very nice wheels? where did you get them?

Even if it fits I'm not sure I would want to be taking any slow turns or pulling into a parking spot with 275 up front, that's a lot of rubber for the forearms even with power steering.

whoa... 275 up front .. wow.. i thought i read you would have to modify the front valance to keep the tire from causing problems... maybe like on the agent47 harbinger ...:thumbup1:

Any news on the replacement hood?

Yes. Hood arrived in great condition two days ago and I just had to lay it on the car to get a mental picture of how it'll look. It does appear flawless.

I haven't been able to weigh it yet, or attach it other than to remove the hood hinge springs so I could fold down the hinges and place the hood on the car.

It did not come with any screen o finishing element to the scoop holes, so something will have to be figured out there. I also have to figure if I want four corner latches for a lift-off hood or retain the springs. Leaning towards lift off- it's much easier to work on the engine like that. There is always the problem of what to do with the hood when it's off, though, and invariably they end up getting hurt at one point or another over time when it's off the car.

I really should also relocate my battery this winter - I bought the bits years ago and just haven't bothered. Now with the carbon fiber up front, it's a little ridiculous of me to be clucking over front-end weight savings and to still have the battery up front, don't you think?

When I get the car on the ground again, I can start measuring for backspaciing and see how much tire I can get under the front now. I'd like to balance out the 315 rears with a 255-265 front tire so I don't push at the limit. Should be fun and look great.

IMG_0735.JPG

Edited by gsxrken
new url for pic

...I can start measuring for backspaciing and see how much tire I can get under the front now. I'd like to balance out the 315 rears with a 255-265 front tire so I don't push at the limit. Should be fun and look great.

web.jpg?ver=13193250830001

I'm very interested to know what backspacing you can get under there.:yes:

Got back on it yesterday. I can report the stock hood with the non-functional turn signals hood-scoop weighs 60 pounds whereas the new hood weighs maybe 19.5 lbs. So all told, I saved 12 on each fender (2x) and 40 on the hood, so a total of 64lbs off the front of the car.

It also appears that I can get another inch of tire under there. I now have 6" from the wheel mounting surface of the rotor to the outside of the fenderwell lip. I didn't measure the old fender and the car isn't on the ground yet, but I thought I'd throw that mumber out there for anyone following.

Going in the right direction!

IMG_0717.JPG

Edited by gsxrken
new url for pic

Is the hood any taller than an original one? Like, does it provide more clearance for the air cleaner? It does look sweet. How heavy are the headlight buckets? IIRC, they weren't very light. How do you like the hood without the beak at the front?

Wow! thats alot of room under the front guard. Backspacing is normally 4.5inches plus the 6 inches gives a total of 10.5inches. I'm thinkin a 9inch wide front wheel with a 275 tire(10.6in) would fill the guards nicely and give that nice 'square shoulder' look. Backspacing would/should be in the range of about 4.75inches to 5.25inches. Can't wait till I get my CF guards...

Edited by 6T9rustang

So to answer the questions that I can-

"I'm very interested to know what backspacing you can get under there"
I was able to mount my rear 17x9.5 rim with 5.5 backspace and 275 tire under the fender.

IMG_0757.JPG

Is the hood any taller than an original one? Like, does it provide more clearance for the air cleaner?
No it is not. I think it's identical- my air cleaner BARELY made it on the stock hood and it BARELY makes it on this one. An extra inch wouldn't have been a bad idea.

How heavy are the headlight buckets?
I didn't think to weigh them b/c I wasn't swapping them, but I bet they're 10lbs each- IOWs, heavier than the fenders now.

How is the fit and finish?
The new panels really blow away the rest of my paint job. Partly b/c the painter didn't want to "over-restore" my car when he sprayed it so he left some peel, and partly from age, but the new clear really pops.

The fit is excellent as well. I was really worried about this b/c I wanted the option to leave it unpainted (thus no bodywork). I'm still not sure of my paint scheme but I think I'll paint the sides of the fenders and the outboard sides of the hood, leaving the tops of the fenders and the rise in the hood carbon.

It's a little different mounting the fiberglass.carbon parts, Anything more than a "snug" of the mounting bolts can result in tiny but alarming crackling sounds from the parts. I decided to mount it more like motorcycle fairings and isolate both sides of each mounting point with rubber fender washers.

Edited by gsxrken
pic link

So to answer the questions that I can-

I was able to mount my rear 17x9.5 rim with 5.5 backspace and 275 tire under the fender.

It's a little different mounting the fiberglass.carbon parts, Anything more than a "snug" of the mounting bolts can result in tiny but alarming crackling sounds from the parts. I decided to mount it more like motorcycle fairings and isolate both sides of each mounting point with rubber fender washers.

Great feed-back, cheers. No rubbing?

Now you just need a CF cowl panel to complete the front look ;)

Of course you were right!

I'm going to paint the car a House of Kolor Tangelo Orange metallic over white base, and tint the carbon fiber I do leave exposed a root beer color in the clear. After I flare the rears just a bit to fit the new shoes.

I also ordered their rear spoiler, which is on backorder but can be installed after the car is painted. I'll just root beer clear it when I get it. But that's it. I'm an anvil whore now it seems. I wish I never saw the parts in the first place. ;-)

69-70mustang_rearspoiler_gs_thm.jpg

web.jpg?ver=13229552930001