rwcstang

anvil auto carbon fiber parts for 69-70 mustangs

Of course you were right!

I'm going to paint the car a House of Kolor Tangelo Orange metallic over white base, and tint the carbon fiber I do leave exposed a root beer color in the clear. After I flare the rears just a bit to fit the new shoes.

Teaser shot. Rear quarters flared and bodywork underway. Since I decided to paint the car, in the desire to get a really tight panel fit, we did need to work the Anvil fenders a bit by floating some skim filler over it and the door. If I was leaving them CF I may have lived with the door and headlight bucket gaps, because its understood that the car goes from paint to CF there. When it's painted, though, it would just look like someone didn't spend enough time on panel fit.

IMG_00345.jpg

IMG_00349.jpg

That IS a teaser shot! :thumbup1: Looking good... I should be ordering my CF guards end of this month!

Teaser shot. Rear quarters flared and bodywork underway. Since I decided to paint the car, in the desire to get a really tight panel fit, we did need to work the Anvil fenders a bit by floating some skim filler over it and the door. If I was leaving them CF I may have lived with the door and headlight bucket gaps, because its understood that the car goes from paint to CF there. When it's painted, though, it would just look like someone didn't spend enough time on panel fit.

IMG_00345.jpg

IMG_00349.jpg

You can get another idea of the flare or bulge of the Anvil fenders here. It's not immediately obvious but it's there for sure.

You can also get an idea of how killer looking the HOK Orange really is.

IMG_00414.jpg

You can get another idea of the flare or bulge of the Anvil fenders here. It's not immediately obvious but it's there for sure.

You can also get an idea of how killer looking the HOK Orange really is.

IMG_00414.jpg

That thing is going to look really sweeeeeeeet when you get it all back together.

I didn't go back thru this thread to check my memmory but weren't you going to leave peekaboo spots of the CF exposed to show it off and use some kind of a rootbeer clear on them or something? Or am I confusing this with another CF project?

Thanks for the comPliments. I don't want to scuttle this thread which should really be about Anvil products. I have a Project thread over on pro-touring.com with more updates.

Back on Anvil, I am anxiously waiting for them to re-release the trunk spoiler in CF. Tracy says April.

Thanks for the comPliments. I don't want to scuttle this thread which should really be about Anvil products. I have a Project thread over on pro-touring.com with more updates.

Back on Anvil, I am anxiously waiting for them to re-release the trunk spoiler in CF. Tracy says April.

When you say trunk spoiler, do you mean the shelby type or the Mach 1 pedistal mounted type spoiler?

Finally got the first of the second-gen rear spoilers in clear CF. Very nice quality (as all of their stuff is) and fit very nicely as well. Each piece is held in with two studs that require drilling and nutting from behind. (Har).

It was not easy catching the washer, lock washer, and nut on the trunk lid... I had to use a magnet so the parts didn't fall into the inner crevices of the decklid. With patience, I was able to catch the first thread via spinning the magnet, and then I could get a socket up there.

2012_+7_25_23_+5.jpg

photo.jpg

that looks so good man!! i have been looking at fabing up a carbonfiber spoiler for the coupe myself.. apparently it a lot like making fiberglass parts.. but you need a far nicer mold than for glass so you dont have imperfections you cant hide

Looking great!

I have one question. Why did you cover the CF with pait and didn't leave any below exposed for the world to drool over? Now only you are going to know it's there.

Believe, this was the basis of a lot of discussion. I didn't like the look of leaving it all CF. From more than 25' away it looked like a little half-assed. IMG_0792.jpg

I taped off the center of the hood where I did want the CF peekaboo, but I couldn't figure out what to do with the fenders. I almost did the reverse of what I eventually did and painted inside the tape, (rather than leaving it CF like I did) and left the rest of the top CF. Some Mopars left the entire top of the front clip flat black, but I didn't want to go that route.

2012_+3_16_20_32.jpg

Then I thought about doing the Mach 1 side stripe in CF, by leaving the shape of the stripe exposed in CF, and getting some CF tape made up for the door and quarter section of the stripe. But I was worried about the match, or lack thereof, of the Anvil CF weave and any CF weave tape I might be able to find. What sealed the deal was when Jake called and said the fenders could really use a skim coat in some places to get the gaps to the door correct.

IMG_00345.jpg

IMG_00338.jpg

In the end, I painted them all. In hindsight, I could have saved some money and got the fiberglass fenders from Anvil instead of the CF since I painted them. The small weight penalty would be immaterial. But it is what it is. I still might get a custom CF stripe made up, reminiscent of the Mach 1 stripe, and no longer have the mismatch worries I would have had the other way.