Sign in to follow this  
Len69Coupe

What would you do?

Need some advice please. I bought a trunk lid from a guy that advertised it on a site as "Rust and dent free". After negotiating back and forth we came to an agreement of $65 for the lid. Great price for a rust and dent free lid in my book. Before I made the payment I asked for photos and when he sent them to me I noticed rust on the outside rear edge. He said it just surface bubbling and could be sanded and sprayed with filler primer. Not being a body guy I was disappointed, but if that was all that was wrong with it I could deal with it. I made the payment through paypal and he shipped it. When I got it the first thing I noticed was the underside lip was severly rusted and parts of the lip (part crimped over) was actually rusted away. I took photos and sent them to him asking why he didn't mention the rust. He replied saying "honestly i didn't even realized that. I was mostly looking at the outside of the trunk lid for rust and dents". After that I took another closer look at the trunk and the edge where he said could be sanded and filled with primer was actually rusted through and you can actually see 2 seperate layers of sheet metal. I'm pretty peeved about the whole thing, but don't want to over react, which I can do pretty easily :glare:. So here I am, what would you do? Demand partial refund to offset the rust? Demand entire refund? Call him out on the forum he participates in since he's selling other stuff? I don't think there is legally anything I can do is there?

[ATTACH]7966[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7967[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7968[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7969[/ATTACH]

Edited by LFugate
clarity

I'd be concerned about whats inside between the layers of the trunk myself (not sure if it got primed/painted in there, or if it's bare) but I think (depending on how bad your current lid is) I'd ask the guy for a refund, and perhaps offer to split return shipping. If it's much better than yours, I'd probably ask him for a 50% refund or something like that.

I'd probably overreact too. "Rust free" has a pretty specific meaning in my book, and that doesn't fit it.

Unless he's willing to cover the cost of shipping it back I think you're stuck with it and maybe you can talk him into giving you a partial refund. You can also do the paypal dispute thing.

All that being said, I do happen to have a coupe trunk lid and end caps that were blasted for paint prep before I decided to go with a different setup for my project. They are in excellent condition and just need prep for paint. I have no idea how to ship something like that though. PM me if you're interested.

Yea, I used Paypal. Never realized that they protected you outside of EBay. I'll give the guy a chance to come forward and reslove this himself, then I'm going to Paypal.

If he doesn't make this right should I mentioned something about this in the forum he's selling other parts in? I sure would want someone telling me before I bought from someone misrepresenting his parts.

Rangerdoc, I'll keep you in mind if this doesn't pan out. Thanks.

He out and out lied about the trunk lid. There is no way he "honestly" didn't realize the rust issue. No way. PM him and let him know that based on his description you bought the part. Now that the issue is known to you and him, he needs to do the right thing and give you a full refund. The right thing for him would be to refund your purchase price and to pay the postage back. I suspect this will not happen.

You can either post the picture of the part on the forum he advertised on, his description of the part, and just let your subject title be, "Buyer Beware," or just see what you can recoup from him and let it go. You were trusting and you learned a lesson. Trust but verify. Get pictures of all areas. If in doubt, do without.

I'd ask for a refund. But honestly, be ready to eat the $65 and shipping cost. It's a civil issue and your only remedy if he refuses to refund your money is small claims court. And personally, $65 plus shipping isn't worth it.

Edited by maxum96

You don't have to resort to calling the guy out on the other forum just yet, but you can lay the case out with pics just as you have done here and leave the name off at first just to get the opinions of the folks on that forum as a start on what they would do. I would still try once to resolve between the two of you but if every one there agrees they would be pissed it could help sway him into being more fair with you and if not then you can always say who he was and how he stuck you, you can never call that back once it's done though so I think you should save it until things don't look fixable. Don't threaten him with it just lay it out and let the others do the work for you.

Well, the guy refunded me $75, so I'm still out $35 in the deal with a lid that is far from rust or dent free as he stated. He told me refiunding me $75 was totally fair. I don't see it that way. Only a blind person could look at this lid and call it rust and dent free. I really think people need to be warned that this guy can't be trusted with his parts. Should a post a warning about him in the selling forum as a seperate thread or in the thread he's selling other parts? Or not at all?

Thanks for the advice.

It's not the worst lid I have seen for the $35 total, that's for sure. All things consdered I think you got lucky in the end so it's just a matter of how much you think others need to be aware of this guy or want to stick it to him or whatever the case may be.

Very true Pak. If it has no dents or dings then I'd see if a body shop could fabricate a skin for it. After running into rusted trunk lid after rusted trunk lid, I went with a fiberglass lid & extensions like some other folks. Very happy with the end result, but it's a lot of work!

Now that 69/70 are becoming the popular years I hope the after market will come up with some coupe/convertible trunk lids.

I do a lot of buying online, so "I" would like to know who this guy is and what sites he's been selling his parts on.

IMHO, He refunded a good percentage of your money, so he's not a total looser. He may be blind, poor, have medical bills to pay, selling someone else’s parts, trying to put his kid through college, losing his home, trying to repair his daily driver, etc... but not a total looser. :)

Jim

I agree he's not a total loser, but to advertise it as 'dent and rust free" is a total lie (btw, it does have dents on the inside). He made it semi-right with the partial refund. I sure didn't get what he advertised though. Anyway, you can look at my response to 69shelbycoupe right in the "Parts for sale/Wanted" section on 1969Stang.com.

I was not aware that the issue was here, you implied this was on another forum. Was this purchase sight unseen? I'm just curious if he showed you pictures of a different lid that matched the misleading description or not since that would make a difference. We are all obviously on our own to protect our interests and make sure of what we are buying as best we can without a protection clause like say ebay or something but I would like to think in such a small group as our own that we could all trust each other to be honest and forthright.

I never meant to imply what forum it was in my attempt to keep things as neutral as possible. Part of the reason for keeping it neutral as possible in case 69shelbycoupe wanted to comment, it was up to him. He hasn't commented on this thread anywhere that I know of.

Yes, he did send pictures, but left out pics of the rusted areas, except for the area on the corner that he stated "It's just surface bubbling and could be sanded and sprayed with filler primer". It is definitely the same lid in the photos he sent me as the clear coat is badly peeling on the outside of the lid.

I agree that in the small (ish) group like this that I did feel a sense of trust that I wouldn't feel on some larger sites. Just another reason to trust no one and by no means am I saying that this is the fault of this site.

I've seen alot worse then that. Sand blast and work with it. A new deck lid is going to need work. My driver side door is original and was in alot worse shape then that. You would never know looking at it and I mean looking at it good. Just my .02

LFugate, I am sorry for misrepresenting the trunk lid. I looked over the trunk lid on the out side and there were no dents on it and just the one spot on the corner with rust. I honestly didn't look on the underside. I was just thinking about the exterior since that is what is always seen. I know it was stupid for me to not pay more attention to detail. I was in no way trying to rip anyone off or make alot of money on anything I have for sale. I didn't want to pay another $60 to ship it back to me so I just figured if you kept it for $35 it wouldn't be that bad of a deal.

I really don't know what else to say except that I really am sorry for not paying more attention to detail of what I am selling. I made a mistake and do regret it.

I enjoy this site just as much as anyone else on here. Like stated, this is not a huge forum and it is a great group of people. I hope to not make any enemies on here as I would still like to frequent the forums.