Pakrat

Custom Hood

Not yet, when I do I will post it though. I probably won't do the Eleanor one unless I am really really bored and have lots of free time though sorry, I just don't like that hood at all so my heart really isn't in it. I do plan to do the 68 Shelby style next though.

Sorry for my delayed response. Yeah, I'm still around... sorta. Too many family obligations these days. A couple of kids will do that.

I haven't found a pic of that hood yet, but it's very similar to the Shelby Mexico hood you posted, except that it has all 5 scoops. I wish I'd saved a copy years ago... maybe I will take a 'chop at it some time.

Hmm, just a 10 year old blurb hunh, no concrete proof, that stinks. I can't believe it would have exisited for that long and never once been mentioned by anyone on here or seen if it is available. I do recall seeing a custom earlier model though with a flip nose and a hood like this, I'll see if I can find the pic.

Just spent 20 minutes looking for a pic, but to no avail. I did find a few other threads on different forums from different years (and different posters) asking about the same hood. And I'll swear on an original sales brochure that I've seen pics of the hood in both raw form and mounted on a '69.

BTW, the Shelby de Mexico actually had the center scoop and the two rear vents, just not the two outer front scoops.

And BTW BTW, we apparently had this same discussion nearly 6 years ago: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=473

Pak I really like the first rendering. The vents from the Anvil hood might make it too busy but then again it might not. Really love the 71-73 Ram Air hood rendering you did though.

I had all but forgotten about this thread but yeah the original is still my favorite as well. If/when my project ever gets done I may take some reference measurements from the two cars at a show or my local pick and pull and if it seems feasable I'll buy one of each and try to chop them together and see what happens. If it looks good in real life I could make a fiberglass mold and offer them up for sale. Just not sure if it is better to start with metal and weld it up or fiberglass. I think fitment wise I'm better to start with old originals than any repro stuff and if I can find trashed ones that are beat up in the areas I won't need I could probably get them cheap.

I would think metal would be better since it doesn't flex as much. Having a solid prototype hood would also make it easier when it came to reproducing them in a fiberglass format.