Pakrat

Custom Hood

I've seen a variety of custom hoods available for our cars over the years from Camaro style cowl designs to Cougar Eliminator and even Torino Shakers but I am surprised to not have really seen other styling cues from Mustangs own different years. I've seen the 67 Shelby style made for the 65-66 crowd for example and think it looks pretty good. I thought I would start to photo chop a few and see what they might look like, I started with the 71-73 Ram Air style, I always thought this hood design was the best feature on those cars, not sure yet how I feel about this idea though, this is just a chop and an illustration at that and probably not 100% accurate and to scale but it looked better in my head than it came out, let's see what you guys think since it may not have been in your head yet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7955&stc=1&d=1293725410

Here's another concept I think shows some promise, it's a combination of a 67' Shelby type but in a boss 429 proportion. Basically it is just a boss 429 scoop that is widened and then a center divider added.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7956&stc=1&d=1293725512

Here's the same basic concept of the above only in the Mach 1 scoop proportion, this is basically just doubling the size of the mach 1 scoop. I kinda like this one too, I wish the scoops were cheap enough that I could try to build a proto type of this one, maybe I'll try to make a mold of mine before it gets repainted so I can make some cheap plastic shells to work from.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7957&stc=1&d=1293725569

Would love to see what he First One would look like with the original pointed arrow left on.

I actually tried it that way on the first draft and deleted the arrow because it was way too busy, the arrow is pretty much rasied at the same level of the scoops. I was of course trying to keep the scale and placement of the 71 style scoops where they would be if you were actually attempting to cut out the center of one hood and weld in the center of the other. Let me give it another try though and add the scoops in where they fit best with the curve of the hood aesthetically rather than technically how it would be done.

Well, I managed to fit it all in optically but I don't think it's really possible to make it like this since in 3D all the curves would really fight each other. I think it would have to be more like grafting the 69/70 Shelby stlye scoops in to work since they press down into the surface some instead of being all rasied from the surface.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7958&stc=1&d=1293730475

EDIT: Now that I look at the two versions together I probably should have made the size of the scoops a bit smaller here like I did in the first one.

Yeah that was my original idea for a custom hood before I got carried away with options that I think could look great and I'm surprised that no one else has thought of making one yet.

I'll try to get to some of the other requests next week when things at work settle down again. I'm not sure what a 69 Dart GT hoos scoop looks like though. I'm no fan of the elaenor hood but I'll see what I can do, on the original movie car is was basically the stock 67' Shelby scoop but the air holes were sealed up, in the countless knockoffs of the movie car since though it has become this hideous giant bulge though IMHO like it needs some rhinoplasti.

Pak,

Try grabber maverick nostrils along each side of the center ridge.

That's a good one. I was thinking GTO and never thought about the Maverick. The 69 TransAm had kind of a Shelby thing going on, too, that might work on a Mustang.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8158&d=1296103545

attachment.php?attachmentid=8156&d=1296103276

attachment.php?attachmentid=8157&stc=1&d=1296103622

Thanks for the refernce pics, that always helps. I have some free time coming up at work on Friday and Monday while the boss is away so I'll give some of these a try. I think the nostril look could be pretty cool with the arrow nose if it ties into the look and style of the rear side scoops.

Budha Buddy, how ya been? I have never seen a hood like that, since it was the inspiration for the 71-73 design though sounds like it would be right in line with my original thought. The only thing I've seen even close to what you describe is the Shelby de Mexico hood but that had just a single vent in the middle from any pics that I have seen.

3511116193_ed5b1cfeaa.jpg

BTW everyone else, I will get to those other chops ASAP, I ran into some unforseen issues with my free time last week.

Maybe Buddha will take a whack at some too now that he's popped up again, he good at the choppin'!