Sign in to follow this  
70vert

If you want a gauge cluster from Classic Instruments made, chime in!

Hey all,

I contacted Classic Instruments after talking to one of their reps at a Good Guys show. I mentioned that I was looking at buying a JME cluster but wanted to know if Classic Instruments has anything in the works for our cars. They've done a '67-'68 cluster, and I would love to see a '69-70 cluster. The rep said that they had something in the works and it would come out in the summer, and that I should contact them. The first part wasn't necessarily true, but I and a guy from VMF (Alan MacDougall, I think he's on here too?) are in contact with him, sending him links to forum posts and trying to gauge demand. (pun intended) :biggrin:

If you're not happy with the Year One DIY offering, don't want the JME wait time, (although I am still considering one if Classic Instruments has no plans) and are a potential customer, email adam at classic instruments dot com . (you can figure out the email address from that, didn't want the spambots to get him) They are considering products for the 2011 model year at this time.

If nothing else - you know about 99% of us are looking for a tach dash if we don't have one already!

hi guys, i'm new here. Mustang Depot hooked me up with a JME bezel and they ordered the gauges separately and assembled it for my 70 this past September. they told me 4 weeks but it took 6. It was pricey but looks great and is made well. I had my local shop wire it in. My only dislike is the crescent cutout at the bottom for the steering column doesn't line up right with the factory steering column. But that could just be my car and I plan on replacing the steering down the road.

I agree, the price is pretty insane, albeit I know the gauges cost a fortune if you get them separately.

There is a fellow on bay that is repopping the clusters like the origionals with the chrome and everything, they look awesome, and are only a few hundred...thats one way you can go but it will look factory.

Mike

Not sure if anybody else has thought of this yet but id like a gauge cluster or even faceings that have the number readouts on the water temp, oil pressure, amp/volts don't matter i guess. Just for some of us guys that want to keep the classis orignal dash look instead of putting in aftermarket gauges since thats something my mom did not want done with her car, AND that way we know for sure how warm were running and how much oil pressure we have.

If this was possible would we have to have the gauges recalibrated?

Edited by Trav_450R

Here's another option - "New Vintage USA" - got it from a Pro-Touring.com email. Apparently they have different "series" of gauges and they can fit them into your existing dash:

http://newvintageusa.com/

I could swear I saw a pic of their gauges in a Mustang cluster on this site but I can't find it. It seems like a send-your-gauge-cluster-we-install-the-gauges type of deal, but cheaper than JME.

Not sure if anybody else has thought of this yet but id like a gauge cluster or even faceings that have the number readouts on the water temp, oil pressure, amp/volts don't matter i guess. Just for some of us guys that want to keep the classis orignal dash look instead of putting in aftermarket gauges since thats something my mom did not want done with her car, AND that way we know for sure how warm were running and how much oil pressure we have.

If this was possible would we have to have the gauges recalibrated?

Years ago when I installed a high volume pump I bought a cheapo mechanical oil gauge that I run hidden under the dash so I could see exactly what my pressure read out was. Last summer I was cleaning all my gauges and putting in new lenses, repainting the needles etc and I was thinking before I put them all back I should run the car and monitor both gauges to make notes where they line up and make some labels to add to my stock gauge so I can ditch the hidden one. I suppose this could be done with all the gauges failry easy.

With the aftermarket white facings being offered it would be nice if someone did make one in black or white with numbers instead but I think you might be right about having each calibrated in order to read properly on each car which puts a crimp in it.

I would add that a great price would make them sell like hotcakes from Classic Instruments, BUT if they do an amazing job on them and live up to their motto - "Our goal is simple ... Perfection." I might be willing to pay top dollar for a really nice piece of work that would throw caution to the wind. Depending on this year's tax return that is, lol.

Hey all,

Just an update. I haven't gone the JME route yet - I'm sitting tight with just the OE gauges and the exhaust drone to tell me my RPM. :roll eyes: I did go to a Good Guys show here a couple weeks ago and talked to Classic Instruments again. Apparently they are actively working on (meaning: building) the 1969 bezel and gauge combo and the '70 is in the initial stages. I just contacted them by email with the following:

"Dear Classic Instruments,

Writing for myself and on behalf of some other '69 and '70 Mustang owners on various forums - 69stang.com, forums.vintage-mustang.com, and stangnet.com . There are users on each forum who are familiar with your quality and are waiting to see when/if these will be in production. I talked to one of your reps at the Good Guys show in Pleasanton and he mentioned that the '69 clusters are physically being produced right now and the '70s are in the initial stages. Any more info you can give? I have been holding off on gauges to see what you guys come up with, and I know there are a bunch of other guys in the same boat."

I'll let you know what they come back with, but if anyone else is still interested, it might be worthwhile to drop them a line. I've been driving the car, but not as much as I'd like to - I seem to have a stuck needle (debris) issue with the Holley 4150 every few weeks. Easy to fix, but an annoyance.

Here's another option - "New Vintage USA" - got it from a Pro-Touring.com email. Apparently they have different "series" of gauges and they can fit them into your existing dash:

http://newvintageusa.com/

I could swear I saw a pic of their gauges in a Mustang cluster on this site but I can't find it. It seems like a send-your-gauge-cluster-we-install-the-gauges type of deal, but cheaper than JME.

Ratus Fornicatus!

If only I had seen that earlier!

I spoke w classic yesterday about gauges. They (adam) never mentioned a 70 bezel. He did mention another company making a 3" combo that might fit the two side openings. That way I can have 6 gauges in the 4 holes. Supposed to get me that info Monday

Just talked to New Vintage USA. They have the gauge sets for the 69/70 Mustangs. They can send you the gauge set for you to install in your bezel for about $796. I like the custom backlit lighting which would run about $1100 for the set. Here is the link.

http://www.newvintageusa.com/news.html

Attached Thumbnails

that looks cool but I don't see where the turn signals or engine warning indicators are.

Cool, so you can do away with the old printed circuit board and that MF'in Voltage Regulator?

I've got an AAW Wiring harness and my gauges burnt out years ago before the rebuild so thinking about making the change.

I'm getting ready to install an AAW Wiring Harness and will be upgrading to these gauges. They have different styles and you can mount the tach in either hole. I need to find out about the electronic speedo....Thinking of going that route.