Sign in to follow this  
Dro69

Engine swaping??

Well i have a chance of buying a rebuilt 302 for $850 which to me is a good price. But i have never done a engine swap before and i dont want to pay a mechanic since i would prefer to use that money on something else. How hard is it to swap a engine? Is the wiring part hard? also what should i check for before i buy the engine if i do end up buying it? Thanks in advance

It will be pretty easy for the first timer if you know how to do basic tune up things like find top dead center, set a distributor, adjust timing and the carburator.

A few things that can catch you off guard. Be sure the torque converter is installed all the way before intalling the engine (assuming you have an automatic trans.) Make sure your rebuilt engine has a flat tappet cam, and a standard rotation water pump. If you have a standard transmission, make sure the block has the boss for the clutch z-bar.

I should have added more. I would rather have a roller too, but if the OP is using the original distributor, the distributor gear is not compatible with the roller cam. If the rebuilt engine does have a roller, it will require a new distributor gear.

It will be pretty easy for the first timer if you know how to do basic tune up things like find top dead center, set a distributor, adjust timing and the carburator.

A few things that can catch you off guard. Be sure the torque converter is installed all the way before intalling the engine (assuming you have an automatic trans.) Make sure your rebuilt engine has a flat tappet cam, and a standard rotation water pump. If you have a standard transmission, make sure the block has the boss for the clutch z-bar.

Sounds complicated :biggrin:

Hey Dro, $800 might go a long way toward solving your current problems, depending on what they are. Do you feel like sharing the issues you're having?

Well i havent fully verified but there might be antifreeze in the oil, i hear a somewhat tick sound (someone told me the engine might be cam'd and thats why i hear that noise?), theres a hole where the dip stick used to be making it difficult to know exact level of oil. And stuff like that.