Sign in to follow this  
ak70stang

My '70 sportroof project

I have been fighting these cheese 1-piece torque boxes. (not recomended)

img0723800.jpg

Getting close to welding it in.

img0728800.jpg

I have been bummed about these boxes but this brought me back up.

34" trout back from the taxidermist!!

img0735800.jpg

:thumbup: almost a 3 footer.

Crap! Hope you're ok.

I wish I could do work like that, but then I'd have to purchase all the equipment and take classes to learn to use it. Hard to justify when you only have one car. Though someday I'm sure I'll add to the collection. Maybe I'll attempt it then.

whats that LED light? looks pretty slick?

nice progress btw

Yeah that is one of those $3.97 specials from thr local hardware store. It is really sweet light for the price, it has 24 leds out the front and 3 out the side, with a magnet and foldaway hook.

My newest updates are.

Finished the fender aprons and radiator support as well as the strut rod brackets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8700&stc=1&d=1303101224

Started on my version of "Buckeye subframe connectors" I will show a better picture after I am done with the grinding.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8701&stc=1&d=1303101372

good deal on the connectors!

do you have the luxury of a vertical bandsaw or a plasma cutter?

Nope just a cut off wheel, those would have made it a little easier!

Revhead I did get those from a donor car. I was going to make a stamp to make a few sets but do not have the time right now. I will see what I have for pics of that process

I made my own inside cowl panels you're referring to. I did two versions, one with the fresh air vent cut out and one without. I opted to go with the panel without the vent cutout as the hinge access holes on the first version didn't turn out to great. I ended up using a bead roller to get the shapes of the cutouts and add some strength to the panel. I believe you can see the progress scattered throughout post 27-40 on my build thread. Not sure if it will help, but thought I'd pass it along.

I made my own inside cowl panels you're referring to. I did two versions, one with the fresh air vent cut out and one without. I opted to go with the panel without the vent cutout as the hinge access holes on the first version didn't turn out to great. I ended up using a bead roller to get the shapes of the cutouts and add some strength to the panel. I believe you can see the progress scattered throughout post 27-40 on my build thread. Not sure if it will help, but thought I'd pass it along.

I remember seeing the bead rolling you did. If someone repoed this they'd sell 100 sets in the first 6 months seriously. If I was in the stamping die business I would do it in a heartbeat.