Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Opinions on value of my coupe

Howdy gentlemens,

Apologies for another non-technical post from yours truly, but I would like to get your learned opinions on the value of my 69 GT Coupe. I have 3 kids in college and money is tight.

Some of you probably know the story of this car (sat in storage for 21 years, trannie rebuild, etc.), but here are the main details:

It's an M code GT coupe.

351 Windsor, unknown mileage, PO said 5K on rebuild but he had no documentation. 4-speed Toploader (freshly rebuilt!). New clutch. Holley 650 on Edelbrock Performer. Stock manifolds, dual 2.0" exhaust, Flowmasters. Aftermarket aluminum 3-row radiator. Stock ignition.

Factory front discs, new stock MC and Booster. Rebuilt drums. Cragars with Radial T/As with about 400 miles on them.

All new fuel system (tank, sending unit, lines, pump).

The car has all the actual "GT" details: flip-top gas cap, GT stripes, hood scoop, beefier suspension, etc. 8-track tape player from the early 70's that I've never tried to use. (Anybody have an 8-track tape I can buy from them?)

It's Jade Black (original paint) and I'd say it's a cosmetic 8 out of 10 due to a handful of tiny dents from crap falling on it in storage. Mechanically, I'd say it's a 9 out of 10. Electrically a 10. Everything works. Interior is perfect except the PO dyed the original black standard interior beige. It looks really good, but not stock. Painted the dash and all plastic interior to match.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on market value today. I've never sold anything on eBay but I'm thinking that might be a good start. Craigslist is an option, but my area (Sacramento) is pretty depressed right now.

Thanks again.

Tom

Pricing Mustangs are hard. You have to kind of go by what the market is doing right now. I suggest looking at Ebay at similar cars and see where the bids are and asking prices. I would also check out Hemmings and Auto Trader Classics and go from there.

I think Ebay is a great place for selling cars. A buddy of mine who restores and sells Mustangs sells all of his there. He told me he likes Ebay over Craigslist because it gets rid of all the phone calls and "tire kickers" just jerking your chain. At least with an Ebay auction, when a bidder wins the auction they have to put down a deposit so at least you have some money in hand and it shows they are serious. My recommendation would be to be as detailed as you can in the description and post a lot of pictures.

Just to give you a ball park idea. Another friend of mine had a '69 coupe S code with a 390 that was a fresh ground up restoration with freshly rebuilt motor and trans and he ended up selling it for just over $15k. Of course that was two years ago, I was actually going to buy it but it sold before I got a chance to look at it. Good luck.

Tom,

If you think the dents are going to detract from the price I would highly recommend trying paintless dent removal. Long story but when the guy finished fixing a small dent on my truck it was 100% perfect. You cannot tell nor can I remember where the dent was exactly. Same story with my brother in-laws Boxster, PERFECT. Oh, it was cheap too, I would have paid him 1000.00, he charged 150.00 or so. I was skeptical but now I am a true believer. Good luck, remember if you sell it you may never get another.