Sign in to follow this  
Junior2561

Mach 1 Project I started...

Project has really slowed down - house is for sale and we are moving everything out to declutter it.

2012-06-03_14-58-10_686.jpg

I did find time to metal treat the little bit of factory flooring left. I soaked it down in POR's Metal Prep and gave it a coat of red oxide looking epoxy. Next will be to do the same to the rest of the floor.

2012-06-06_19-32-50_706.jpg

I looks like a rusty floor, but its not...

Also taking a slight beating with the timing chain cover rubbing on my fuel pump eccentric. I was rotating the engine lastnight to measure for pushrod length and became very disappointed, very fast...

Junior,

Good luck with th move & hope all goes well for you. My wife & I went through the same thing about 8 mnths ago when we moved from upstate NY to the Jersey shore. We had to pack up all the loose part for the Mustang & had a friend with a trailer move the Mustang.

Mike.

Thanks guys - all should go fine, we just have to get the house sold.

I'm moving west to the big city of Creston. My parents have some land out that way so we're going to build a small ranch.

I won't lie, i am still going to be working on the car a little here and there, but nothing like i was before. Last night, I did however get the underside ready for epoxy:

2012-06-11_21-30-41_493.jpg

I can't get any good shots with my phone on the underside, they always come out bad.

Its been a busy past few weeks.

Our house sold, 2nd baby was born, we're moving out of our house and getting things rolling with building the new house.

I did find time to get the bottom of the car painted last weekend. Its great to see it all in once color. I have a few spots i want to touch up but for the most part, its ready for suspension.

This car is going to be a driver, its not a concurs flawless ride, but I wont be embarrassed for it to go up on a lift.

If i could go back and do something over again, i would have red scuff pad the panels BEFORE installing them. Would have saved a lot of time. I also, would have installed the rear seat belt anchor plates BEOFRE the panel went into the car.

2012-07-22_10-07-10_406.jpg

2012-07-22_10-07-34_284.jpg

I also sprayed the inside of the car and the inside of the roof.

2012-07-22_10-07-53_936.jpg

2012-07-22_10-08-03_992.jpg

Next i'll seam seal up the floor from the inside and move on to the engine bay.

Well done! You've made a lot of progress considering how hectic things have been for you.

Well done on the new addition too, home Mum and baby are doing well!!

still making some progress until the car goes into storage in a week or so.

Seam Sealed up my patches, and wheel wells

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

Sprayed rubberized undercoating in the rear wheel wells. Has a nice factory look. Still going to touch up a spot here and there on it with a light second coat for texture

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

Sprayed the first coat of Dupli-Color bed liner on the front end. This stuff is not all the thick and will need a second coat.

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

And a set of Valve covers for my engine. The need blasted and painted, but i got them for $16!

IMG_3019.jpg

Thanks...

I am actually having second thoughts about the direction of this project.

After seeing the car in this black primer, i think it looks so bad. I want to do a satin black car, car, with a gloss black hood, and the black Mach stripe down the side. I have never been too excited about the blue and having a car that looks like everyone elses.

I would do the chrome trim in a brushed finish, paint the bumpers black also....do some other things like that.

One other reason i am considering it is because i KNOW my kids are going to put a ding in the car or a scracth. Just a matter of time as they grow. At least with the satin black i can repaint just one panel if need.

thoughts?

Thanks...

I am actually having second thoughts about the direction of this project.

After seeing the car in this black primer, i think it looks so bad. I want to do a satin black car, car, with a gloss black hood, and the black Mach stripe down the side. I have never been too excited about the blue and having a car that looks like everyone elses.

I would do the chrome trim in a brushed finish, paint the bumpers black also....do some other things like that.

One other reason i am considering it is because i KNOW my kids are going to put a ding in the car or a scracth. Just a matter of time as they grow. At least with the satin black i can repaint just one panel if need.

thoughts?

Then you will probably need to be prepared to be constantly painting or touching up the car. Though satin black cars are cool, the care and maintenance of such cars are a bit of a PIA. A lot car manufacturers are actually starting to offer this paint scheme as an option. There was a article on Yahoo about the Hyundai Volster Turbo and the list of dos and don'ts (http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/hyundai-veloster-turbo-matte-black-paint-comes-long-173756232.html). One option may be to have a matte black that has a couple coats of satin clear over it. It will be slightly shinier than a straight matte black car but the clear will add a little more protection.

Barry at SPI just developed a new matte clear and a new flat black single stage. I believe a new black base coat is out or on its way too as I'm planning on using it. Check it out.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?1821-SPI-Flat-black-polyurethane-single-stage-test-panel-photos-when-mixed-4-1-and-8-1

Lots of of other info on it in other threads here

http://www.spiuserforum.com/forumdisplay.php?4-SPI-Company-products-Updates

Barry is unbelievable at customer service, if you have a question ring, any time.

I painted the front half of the engine bay - the car goes to storage tomorrow for a few months. I only painted the front half because i have a little hammer and dolly work to do on the fire wall. Over all i like the finish. Its a high temp semi gloss engine paint.

2012-08-18_07-53-36_302.jpg