Sign in to follow this  
428 Cobra Jet

Gear Venders / Overdrive

Guy's, has anyone fitted or heard of anyone installing a Gear Venders overdrive to a vehicle, I have a 70 Mustang with a 427 s/o, 428 Crank, Med riser heads, Inglease intake with 4 x 48IDA webers, w/r Top loader and a Currie 3.89 rear end. (sweet ride) Anyway looking for an overdrive option without changing too much and cutting up the car in anyway.

I thought about going with a GV unit but finally rulled it out due to the cost factor. I decided instead to go with an adapter plate and a well built AOD to go behind my FE. This is going to save me about thousand dollars.

But, you have a manual transmission, so you may be better off going with a modern 5 speed to get the overdrive. If you do go with a GV unit, you shouldn't need to cut up your transmission tunnel and do any sheet metal work. Clearance should be fine. Bruce

Guy's, has anyone fitted or heard of anyone installing a Gear Venders overdrive to a vehicle, I have a 70 Mustang with a 427 s/o, 428 Crank, Med riser heads, Inglease intake with 4 x 48IDA webers, w/r Top loader and a Currie 3.89 rear end. (sweet ride) Anyway looking for an overdrive option without changing too much and cutting up the car in anyway.

Well I have tossed around the idea for that extra gearing for highway speeds for some time now.

The cost factor is very close to the same where the 5/6 speed vers the GearVendors.

The plus side is the GearVendor unit will handle much more Hp/Tk than most 5/6 speeds will.

Add to the bolt in advantage of it and its a simple way to go.

Keep the tailshaft cover and driveshaft (cause it needs to be shortened)after install and if you ever wish to put it back to stock form its a easy switch.

Guy's, the Tremec option is not really what I am after, the car is very strong with the current set-up, so to swap out the extension housing and tailshaft is an easy option. Secondly, I'm close to 600flb of torque and reliable so I'm cautious of driveline issues.

Anyway the 5/6 speed conversions I seen around have the full conversion costs to be around $4,800 with bellhousing, clutch, crossmember, etc against $2,800 and a tailshaft for the G/V unit.

Edited by 428 Cobra Jet

I would double check the dimensions of the unit. From pics of applications it appears to mount a fair distance back from the back of the case where the trans tunnel starts to taper down. Just my two cents.