Sign in to follow this  
ruger1

428cj value?

Being a small block guy for years I never learned much on the Ford FE engines. That was untill I joined this forum. Then last month I literally tripped over one coverded up in my customers barn while I was looking at a baler. He told me it was a 428CJ out of a friends pulling truck from years ago and and asked if I was interested in putting it in my Mustang. I wasn't real excited at first, but the more I read and talked to people in the know about 428s the more I figured on switching to a big block. The problem is Dick doesn't know what the value is and neither do I. (we've been deliberating for a month) So far I've seen unassembled engines needing machine work for $750.00 and up. This has the cast iron heads and 4 barrel intake and will need a complete overhaul. I want to fair to him but if it's too much I'll have to stay with my 351C or 302 that I already have. I did get some input from my new friend Ron @ Dearborn Flashback but more input would be great.:helpsmilie:

Thanks,

Dan

Below is a site that you may want to look into to verify what the motor really is. Be sure to get the numbers off the heads (between center spark plugs), intake and block. Should be a "c" scratch on the back of the block as well. Carb and dizzy are likely long gone, but add significant value if still in place. If you can pull the pan you would be wise to ID the crank and rods as well.

http://www.428cobrajet.com/id-main.html

Once you have the info post back here or on the FE Forum listed below and you will get some good feedback on a fair price. The FE site is a good place to search for additional info as well.

http://www.network54.com/Index/10214

Thanks Sunn Dogg. Everything checks out to be a 428 so far. I'll need to get it apart and then I'll know for sure what it is interally. I just spoke to Dick and he told me not to worry about the price and we'll look at it more next week when I'm down there.

Get the date code from the block and look for a partial vin on it also.I have seen early 67 date codes on blocks with a c mark but they would have come from a passenger car.Cobra jet program started in 68

That sounds like one of those deals he should probably pay you to take it. Sure, it was a great engine once, but years in the barn after being in the 'pullin' truck' have reduced it value to just above scrap. If money weren't an issue, I'd say cut him the grand before you sank 4 grand into it. If you can't do that monetarily, I'd find some other option.

And you may have to alter your pony significantly to even get it to fit. (BB shock towers, right?) I'm not an expert on BBF, but I think that's how it works.

We're in the middle of harvest season right now so I haven't had time to pick up the motor yet. We have agreed to set the price after I get it, tear it down and examine it closer. Dick is real cool older car guy (former Pontiac drag racer) and wants the motor to be used in something.

It's not a major deal to install it. My car already had the towers reinforced for some reason, but we're looking at taking them out and putting a R&C front suspension in it anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input and help.

Dan