Sign in to follow this  
7tRedMach

aluminum radiator temp drop

I don't use the stock gauges, I installed Auto Meter mechanical water temp, and oil pressure gauges. Temp runs 180-190 highway, 200 stop and go traffic. I have a 4 row stock radiator with electric fan. Fan set to come on at 200 and off at 180. Thinking about installing a aluminum radiator. Would like to know how much of a temp drop I would get with the aluminum rad.

Paul

I don't use the stock gauges, I installed Auto Meter mechanical water temp, and oil pressure gauges. Temp runs 180-190 highway, 200 stop and go traffic. I have a 4 row stock radiator with electric fan. Fan set to come on at 200 and off at 180. Thinking about installing a aluminum radiator. Would like to know how much of a temp drop I would get with the aluminum rad.

Paul

That sounds like its running pretty good where its at? Why the need for a new alum rad?

I think if not for the electric fan the temp may go on up to 220-230 in stop and go traffic. If I knew the aluminum rad would drop the temp 10-15 degrees, I would install it just for alittle added insurance.

I would expect at least that. Here in Fort Worth we get some extreme temps and I went aluminum with dual SPAL fans and can sit in traffic with the AC running with no problem. In NJ where I lived previously that would have been overboard.

Here's the setup I used. I had to have the brackets custom made as they were much deeper than the standard big block radiator were.

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

001-1.jpg

Thats a nice looking setup you have, sound like it really gets the job done. Here in Va. it dosen't get as hot as Texas, but we had alot of days around and above 100 this summer. It's time to start looking for a aluminum radiator. Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Paul

I had the stock radiator and constantly ran hot, I put in an aluminum radiator and it made a world of difference. I was running in th 230s in traffic and even with the addition of an electric fan it still could not keep up. Now I stay between 180-200.

Dan

I have the Northern (also Summit brand) radiator that is the 27.5x19 installed on my 70 mach. This just barely fits between the frame rails and you will either have to notch the battery tray (along with smaller battery) or relocate the battery to the trunk. I chose to relocate it to the trunk. Below is a picture of the radiator with a fan shroud that I modified to fit a Taurus 18" fan into. I have a 180° thermostat and it runs right at 180° almost all the time. On a real hot day in traffic, it may creep up to 190° but that is because I don't have my DCControls PWM fan controller installed yet. I basically have the fan wired up to a relay running on the low speed. With it having the high speed capability, I don't think I'll ever see anything above 180° even in traffic. The key is the radiator surface area and the fan CFM. I've maximized the surface area, as the full radiator support opening is used with this radiator and the tanks sit outside the opening. With the shroud and the Taurus fan (roughly 4000cfm or so on high), I have a ton of air moving at low speeds. Let me know if I can help any. Here are links to the radiator I'm using, the fan shroud, and the fan shroud build thread (different forum, sorry!!)

Radiator without trans fluid cooler: http://www.northernfactory.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=15441&itm_index=3

Radiator with trans fluid cooler: http://www.northernfactory.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=11539&itm_index=4

Fan shroud: http://www.northernfactory.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=12379&itm_index=1

Fan shroud build: http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,7808.0.html

231_11_07_10_6_52_07_2.JPG

231_11_07_10_6_52_07_1.JPG

Old pics of the radiator being installed:

231_21_06_10_12_52_02.jpg

231_21_06_10_12_50_49_0.jpg

Temp drop depends on the efficiency of the system you have now, which is difficult for anyone to really tell in conversation. Realistically, the temp should never go below what your thermostat is rated at, so if you have a 190 stat and your car is running 200, temp drop at best would be 10 degrees.

I was thinking of converting to an electric fan as well. The one thing that people rarely discuss though, is how bad is it really if your car runs at 210 rather then 190? Seems we made it 40 years without cars dramatically overheating before all this aftermarket equipment was available, I am wondering if we aren't giving our machines enough credit to be able to handle it? Maybe we are over thinking it.

Aw hell, I'll probably go electric eventually anyway, but I am not sure my car is really needing it.

I'm running a 180 stat, temp going below 180 has never been a problem with my car. Max Power I agree 100%, I don't know how high the temp will go, It may run 200-220 and be fine, It just makes me alittle nervous. I have a 16" pusher elec fan, and kept the mechnical fan just in case there is a problem with the elec fan. It quit on me once, the elec plug in module went bad. Thanks guys for all the great info, it's been very helpful. If i can I will post pic when I get the aluminum rad installed.

Thanks, Paul