Sign in to follow this  
Slick69

Additional Paint Treatments Questions

I'm thinking of adding some satin black paint treatment to my white GT. The car originally had a flat black hood according to the "69 GT Registry. What are the thoughts on painting the area around the headlights and rear tail lights? What was the original hood paint like? Was that on certain models only, I've seen it a on a few cars and like the look.

Here is my current car.................

Mustang014.jpg

Looking at something like this without the Boss sides...........

mjh_boss8.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

On a 69 GT the black out hood was available as an option. If you have the buck tag there should be a "b" after the paint code if it was indeed ordered on your car.

IMO I would not black out the buckets, tail panel, etc. Nice car, do it correct. The hood paint should be applied the same as a Mach 1 hood with the small accent stripe, you can search for the dimensions on here or VMF.

I've never been a fan of the black out on the headlights but I love it on the hood and tail panel. My car previously only had it on the hood but on the repaint I am doing the tailpanel also. 69' GT's are far and few between and it was the last year they made them. Your car looks pretty correct though it has obvioulsy been repainted if the hood paint is missing now. If it is mostly original still including the hard to find and not reproduced GT pop open gas cap I would want to keep it as correct as possible personally. It is only paint though and the tail panel could always be put back to white fiarly easy if you really wan it black.

I've never been a fan of the black out on the headlights but I love it on the hood and tail panel. My car previously only had it on the hood but on the repaint I am doing the tailpanel also. 69' GT's are far and few between and it was the last year they made them. Your car looks pretty correct though it has obvioulsy been repainted if the hood paint is missing now. If it is mostly original still including the hard to find and not reproduced GT pop open gas cap I would want to keep it as correct as possible personally. It is only paint though and the tail panel could always be put back to white fiarly easy if you really wan it black.

Thanks Pak. I have the original owners manual, build sheet, and lots of docs. It still has the original GT gas and all the interior pieces. I do like the accents that the black gives. The headlight buckets just give it a meaner look in my opinion.

Then I say go for it, it is your car and you should be happy. If it was the original paint in good condition I would say no way but it is just paint after all. Since you have at least 2 coats on it already and will eventually need new which may require a total strip down since three coats is pushing it just do it!