Sign in to follow this  
Wade

pic request please, need underhood light placement

I'm needing to install the factory under hood light. It is supposed to be there originally as part of the visibility group option.

I've been unable to track down any photos of where it is located and what it looks like installed.

Thanks

I'm needing to install the factory under hood light. It is supposed to be there originally as part of the visibility group option. quote]

I don't think there was an under hood light as part of this option group. At least it isn't listed in the Illustrated Facts and Specifications Manual.

Really? I was told the visibility group included:

-Left-Hand Remote Mirror

-Underhood Light

-Luggage Compartment Light

-Glovebox Light

-Glovebox Lock

-Underdash Lights (Coupe only, came standard on FB and Conv.)

-Ash Tray Light (1969)

-Lighted Ignition Switch (1969)

-Parking Brake Warning Light (1969)

Anyone know this for sure? Someone did tell me it was installed at the dealer.

This car has this option package per the Marti report, but the car was purchased by the previous owner in boxes. Most of the option pieces were missing and I'm trying to figure out what belongs on this car from the factory.

It looks like you're doing a resto, so this may not be useful for you, but we fitted a very cool under hood lamp to my Mach from a '70s big body Olds. The cool thing about it is that it detaches on a long wind-up cord. Here are a couple pics in case anyone is interested:

80807477.th.jpg 94783347.th.jpg

I have seen one on a supposedly concours correct car. I believe it could have been a dealer installed item though.

Earlier Mustangs had it as an option.

I read on another forum that their 70 manual shows a fuse for an underhood light. This I will have yet to investigate myself.

However, cougarparts shows this:

Used Engine Compartment Lamp Assembly for the 1969 Mercury Cougar or Ford Mustang

C9WY-15702-A Assembly includes lamp socket, bracket, mercury switch, and length of wire. Can be installed on any 1969 Cougar. Investigation shows that an inline fuse was used on the single wire, with a 7.5amp rating.

It also says that it was part of the Courtesy Light Group Option (on 67-70 cougars at least)

yhst-11089400041767_2129_44053947

Really? I was told the visibility group included:

-Left-Hand Remote Mirror

-Underhood Light

-Luggage Compartment Light

-Glovebox Light

-Glovebox Lock

-Underdash Lights (Coupe only, came standard on FB and Conv.)

-Ash Tray Light (1969)

-Lighted Ignition Switch (1969)

-Parking Brake Warning Light (1969)

Anyone know this for sure? Someone did tell me it was installed at the dealer.

This car has this option package per the Marti report, but the car was purchased by the previous owner in boxes. Most of the option pieces were missing and I'm trying to figure out what belongs on this car from the factory.

Your list agrees with the one in my book except no underhood light. I have a '69 with this option and it has all of the other stuff. And though some or all could probably be dealer installed, I am sure it was factory installed if ordered.

Your list agrees with the one in my book except no underhood light. I have a '69 with this option and it has all of the other stuff. And though some or all could probably be dealer installed, I am sure it was factory installed if ordered.

So would this be an option itself and not combined in a group when it was ordered? If that is true then it would show up on a Marti report if factory installed. I would assume it would be part of a package.

Thanks,

Wade

Sorry to sound confused, but how do we find out if the underhood light was part of the visibility group? I get conflicting stories form different people.

So far it appears the consensus is that no it was not part of the visibility group. It is not in the Illustrated Facts and Specifications Manual and Max Power said he has not seen it in cars with the trunk light option.

Well might be a good thing, one less thing to install to restore all the factory options that used to be on this car :)

I've tried to research this a few years back and also came up empty handed. As far as I could tell, the underhood lamp only came on the Cougars and not the Mustangs. Below is a picture of the Cougar lamp installed on a Mustang hood. I own one of these lamps and it was designed to be installed on the starter solenoid post and IIRC a fusible link. Its a bit fuzzy how it was fused.

There is also the round Rotunda accessory that could be dealer installed, which I've seen installed in the center of the hood on the flat spot area of the reinforcement.

231_21_10_10_1_56_58.jpg

There is also the round Rotunda accessory that could be dealer installed, which I've seen installed in the center of the hood on the flat spot area of the reinforcement.

The round one is the one I have seen. With a mercury switch. That's confusing... Not Ford Mercury :blink: but mercury the liquid metallic element.

I was told this was the factory under hood lamp for a 69/70 Mustang:

What do you think? has anyone seen this style and is it for the Mustang?

Edited by Wade