Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Headlight adjustment question

Howdy fellers. Been awhile since I had a dumb question, so let's get right to it:

I'm finally getting around to replacing the original (dim) headlamps in the coupe and am moving onto adjustment phase. I am pretty comfortable with the process of aligning the low-beams, but I can't seem to find any reference for how the high beams should look relative to the low-beams.

Can anybody describe the pattern the 4 bulbs should make on a garage door, for example? Should the high beams (inner lights) be above, in between, or below the outer lights in the high-beam setting?

And while I'm here, I notice that the outer lights beam pattern moves "up and to the left" of center in the high beam setting. Should I therefore align the lights a little more "lower and to the right" of center?

I hope this makes sense. I've scanned my chilton, searched the forums, and can't seem to find any good common-sense info about the pattern our beloved 4 lights should make.

Thanks mucho.

Tom

foothill,

I believe you can pull the car up as close as you can to say a garage door. Place a piece of tape in the center of the beem on the door or wall. Back your car back 25 ft. an adjust beam to the tape. Floor or ground must be level. That should work on all vehicles.

Thanks for the response, Cobra. I think that process would work for lights that are more or less already in the ballpark. I've just replaced mine and all 4 are pointing various places. But...what I can infer from that process is the high beams (inner lights) should appear in between the low beams horizontally (and not necessarily higher or lower vertically).

I would also think that at some point, the beams have to be "below" and "inside" the marks you describe at some distance, otherwise the lights would just shine out into infinity while driving. I mean, shouldn't the lights "converge" at some point out in front of the car? I can't imagine they are perfectly parallel, but i'm probably overthinking of all this.

And to PDad...my bad! I never seem to notice my PMs. Reading it now. Will catch up with you soon and thanks in advance for any wisdom on my question.

Tom