Sign in to follow this  
brianrupp78

aftermarket gauges

Where do you guys put your aftermarket gauges... Im taking a break from trying to get my orinal ones working and need something in the car for now.

I Have one of those three packs of gauges where they are all in a row... Where would you guys mount it?

That's a problem on 69 Stangs. On other years, they can be mounted below the dash, but try that on a 69, and your shins will hit the guages when getting in and out (my experience anyway.) What I've done is get a window pillar guage mount for 2 guages, then also got the Shelby replica 2 guage mount that replaces the ash try in the center console. You can find those in CJ Pony parts or other catalogs. I have my tac mounted on the steering column. I have seen some folks drill out the center section of the dash, and other folks put the guages where the radio goes and it looked good. I just don't want to cut a good dash, and want to keep a radio. I've also seen a 69 Mach at a car show that had a custom made guage mount. He had a steel "bar" that attached to the steering column horizontally and extended out on both sides. He had a small tac on one side and small guages on the other. It might sound weird, but it looked good and didn't block the view of the original instrument panel.

Hey thanks for the replys lots of usefule info there. I kind of like the idea of putting them where the radio goes ust because i plan on making a center console and i could probably fit a cd player in there well see... Thanks for the help bud

You mind posting a picture of your installed pillar pods? I bought some from NPD. They are most likely the same as CJ Pony Parts but with the gauges installed (2 1/16), the pod is not flush with the pillar. Looks nasty but the gauges are functional so I'm happy (for now.)

I found a 69-70 billet aluminum radio delete gauge pod in the CJ Pony part catalog tonight, but it isn't listed on line. The part number is rb5 if you want to call them brianrupp78. Their number is 1-800-888-6473.

I don't have the pillar pods installed yet louie69, so I may end up with the same problem.

I ended up building my own 3 gauge pod that fits under the radio/heater control top plate. I put a link below with picture of my build. It turned out pretty good. The only downside (no pun intended) is that it is so low and if you're running a thick stalk Hurst shifter (like I am), it can get in the way of being able to fully see the gauge. I also think it would look much better with a smaller/different style gauge, but that was what came with the car when I bought it and I don't have the money right now to switch them out.

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,9529.0.html

I ended up building my own 3 gauge pod that fits under the radio/heater control top plate. I put a link below with picture of my build. It turned out pretty good. The only downside (no pun intended) is that it is so low and if you're running a thick stalk Hurst shifter (like I am), it can get in the way of being able to fully see the gauge. I also think it would look much better with a smaller/different style gauge, but that was what came with the car when I bought it and I don't have the money right now to switch them out.

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,9529.0.html

Pretty trick setup. Nice job.