Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Fuel pump not working

tried getting the fuel pump wired and working this weekend, got the fuel line mounted no leaks or issues. Got gas into the line and to the pump but when I tried just testing the pump (touched the wire to positive of battery) to see if it would pump gas nothing happened. Its a KEM pump (PO) and it only has one wire coming out the bottom of the pump, I figured this to be power and that the fuel pump was probaly self grounding once i mounted it to the car. I tried looking up KEM pumps but didnt find any technical info or wiring. Any suggestions? It seems the pump is no good and that ill just have to buy a Holley or something.

the pumps from the previous owner and I dont know if it did before. The fuel pump is mounted in the engine bay. I know that by the gas tank is ideal but I didnt wana hack the factory gas line i bought that goes to the gas tank. Does the battery have to be grounded also? I didnt have it grounded.

Agreed with Mach1, it smells like a bad ground. To verify, take some jumper cables, attach to + and - on your battery, attach + to the positive wire on the pump, and ground the other - cable to the body of the pump itself. It should turn if it's a good pump.

Without the neg cable hooked up there is no path for power to return to battery.

Having the pump in the eng bay may cause fuel starvation as elec pumps are pushers not pullers of fuel.

Also with using elec pumps a regulator is a good thing to have inline to carb, as the pressure may over power the float causing a flooding condition.

Yes, the battery negative cable must be connected as well. Otherwise the path of current flow will not be completed. If your pump only has one wire, the mounting tabs must be well grounded with no rubber insulators. And as said above, electric pumps are pushers not pullers.

Having said that, is there a particular reason you are adding an electric pump? Parasitic HP losses are minimal with the mechanical pump. And there are some very good high volume mechanical pumps on the market. Bruce