Sign in to follow this  
Dangstang

Clutch noise

Hey Guys ,I am trying to get my newly accuired 69 Mach on the road and I have clutch noise, when I let the clutch out, both when in gear and out .Although when the clutch is pushed in its quiet.

I have tried adjusting the clutch adj rod but does not seem to help.I think it might be a misaligned release fork or maybe the clutch itself.I started the car with the clutch adj rod removed, then manully moved the fork back and forth this resulted in more than a little grinding.Question - does the fork have a adjustment that can be made while installed? Question -can the fork be removed with trany and clutch still installed ?I would like to do a visual on it.

Does not look like orginal linkage (to new looking) Just looked, no screw I can see.

With the linkage disconnected the fork has a lot of play in all directions is this normal?

There is a couple bolts that hold a bracket to the trany then the fork has a flat spring that clips over.If I remove the bolts it looks like I could remove the fork.Is this a good idea? Or would I not be able to reinstall without removing the trany?

Regards

I'm not sure you can't pull the fork out from the side of the bell housing. I think you have to pull the fork out with the trans out. Will the car roll when it is in gear with the clutch disengaged?

Edited by 02Lightning

.I started the car with the clutch adj rod removed, then manully moved the fork back and forth this resulted in more than a little grinding.Question - does the fork have a adjustment that can be made while installed? Question -can the fork be removed with trany and clutch still installed ?I would like to do a visual on it.

The fork does not have any adjustment to it, just the linkage.

The grinding noise is most likely the throw out bearing is dry or worn.

I don't think you can remove the fork without taking the trans out.

The fork hole in the bellhousing is too small for the forked end to come thru. but it will come out the tranny hole.

If it is quiet when the clutch is pushed in, it is not the throwout bearing making noise. The bearing does not turn when the clutch pedal is released. Depending on what kind of noise you are hearing it could be the transmission making noise, unless there is something rubbing inside the bellhousing.

It sounds to me like you have bad bearings in the tranny.

Tim

Quick question to you: how new/old is your clutch? When I replaced my clutch a few months ago during a toploader rebuild, the clutch made a noise on pedal release for a few days...kind of a "springy" sound. After conferring with PrintDad, he suggested this might just be a clutch break-in thing and quite normal. He was right; the sound went away after a short time.

Since you reproduced the noise with the linkage removed, you can rule out the pedal return spring and all linkage suspects (which is good). I'd suggest you drop the tranny, remove the bell-housing, and have a closer look. You can't remove the fork/bearing in place. A clutch is a relatively inexpensive upgrade (assuming your clutch isn't already new) and not terribly hard to do.

I hope it isn't your transmission as that can get involved quick. Do you have a toploader? While you have the tranny out, you could pull the cover and do a visual inspection for obvious problems. At the very least, you could drain the old fluid, clean the crap out of it, then replace with a higher-viscosity fluid to potentially eliminate any noises due to potential wear of bearings and whatnot.

I'd suspect your clutch and consider a replacement.

Keep us posted.

Tom

Edited by foothilltom