Sign in to follow this  
sportsroof69

New guy

Hey guys,

My name is Craig. I live in Oklahoma, and I'm a pilot for a Native American Indian tribe here. I was referred by superduty69 because he had been answering some questions on my new build. I have a modded 351W, 4 speed car that gave up on me last week at the track. I'm going back with a fordstrokers.com 408, custom cam, TW 185s, Victor Jr intake, and a Prosystems carb. The questions I had for superduty69 involved getting the Vic Jr to fit, and what he did with his clutch linkage.

Right now, it looks like I will cut the hood, and hide a smaller air cleaner under the scoop. As for the Z bar, I think I'm going to try and keep it. I already have Hooker 6208 headers that I got to work with it. The concerns involve making it hold up to a good clutch. Any input or experience on these topics are appreciated.

Welcome Craig. Nice to see you over here as well as on VMF. Sorry to hear about your motor. What happened? My hood is cut under my hood scoop. You can see what style air cleaner I'm running at the moment in the picture below. I can't help you on the Z bar issues. I run a hydraulic throwout bearing. It eliminates so many clutch linkage issues. I know guys bend up their Z bars a lot with stiff clutches.

Edited by maxum96

Welcome to the site, Craig!

I'm running a setup similar to yours and didnt need to cut the hood. (351w, Edelbrock RPM, Summit Racing 750 mech carb w/spacer, World Windsor Sr and stock air cleaner). Your setup is a little taller so you might look into one of the low profile Cobra air cleaners if you dont want to cut your hood.

The stock z-bar should work fine with the newer diaphram pressure plates. They're supposed to have less pedal effort compared to the old three fingure plates. I heard that under extreme conditions the three fingure plates could bend the z-bars. Thats one of the reasons I went with the Centerforce Dual Friction diaphram one. I havnt actually ran this setup quite yet, but will in a month or less...

I'm glad to hear those Hookers work with your Z-bar. I came really close to getting those same header, but lucked out and got a deal on a set of FPA's just last week. What mod's did you have to make to get the Zbar to work?

Jim

Edited by Burn

Welcome Craig. Nice to see you over here as well as on VMF. Sorry to hear about your motor. What happened? My hood is cut under my hood scoop. You can see what style air cleaner I'm running at the moment in the picture below. I can't help you on the Z bar issues. I run a hydraulic throwout bearing. It eliminates so many clutch linkage issues. I know guys bend up their Z bars a lot with stiff clutches.

Hey man. Good to see you. I've seen several familiar faces over here. That was exactly the style of cleaner I was looking into, so it's good to see that it worked. If I recall correctly, you have a Victor Jr? I really should upgrade the clutch linkage, but it may just be something I have to do later. By the time the engine is ready to go in, I plan on upgrading the rear end with 31 spline axles and diff, and upgrading the input shaft on my toploader to the big input, so I'm not sure I'll have the money left to upgrade the linkage.

I've been having issues with that engine for a while. The engine was put together when I bought the car. I've replaced the valvetrain, and heads since I bought it, but I don't know much about the bottom end. It's always had low cranking pressures across the board, and has never made anywhere close to the power that it should. I think it broke a ring at the track last week, but I haven't been able to check it out yet. It's building so much crankcase pressure, it blew the dipstick out so hard, it broke when it hit the hood. It's blowing massive amounts of oil out of the dipstick hole, and missing, and stumbling real bad. I was trying to get a 408 built anyways. This will just expedite the process :)

Welcome to the site, Craig!

I'm running a setup similar to yours and didnt need to cut the hood. (351w, Edelbrock RPM, Summit Racing 750 mech carb w/spacer, World Windsor Sr and stock air cleaner). Your setup is a little taller so you might look into one of the low profile Cobra air cleaners if you dont want to cut your hood.

The stock z-bar should work fine with the newer diaphram pressure plates. They're supposed to have less pedal effort compared to the old three fingure plates. I heard that under extreme conditions the three fingure plates could bend the z-bars. Thats one of the reasons I went with the Centerforce Dual Friction diaphram one. I havnt actually ran this setup quite yet, but will in a month or less...

I'm glad to hear those Hookers work with your Z-bar. I came really close to getting those same header, but lucked out and got a deal on a set of FPA's just last week. What mod's did you have to make to get the Zbar to work?

Jim

I've been running a Centerforce DF for several months now, and I'm not having the classic bending Z bar problem. Mine has actually worn the hole out where the adjustment block goes in. You can actually see where the hole has been moved back. I'm running a bushing, and it all seemed tight when I first put it together, but it's really worn out now, and causes me to miss shifts at high RPMs. When I get it torn apart, I will weld the hole up, and re drill it, and see if I can figure something out.

The headers took a little work to get them to fit, but they are in, so that's a plus lol. They were actually a major pain, and I'm not looking forward to it again.

Edited by sportsroof69

That was exactly the style of cleaner I was looking into, so it's good to see that it worked. If I recall correctly, you have a Victor Jr?

Yup, Victor Jr intake. The air cleaner is the Edelbrock small oval. I run a 1/2" phenolic spacer under my carb.

IMAG00162.jpg

Here's the link to Summit for my air cleaner. They a whole bunch of different ones that are the same shape, but different style.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1236/

Edited by maxum96

Yup, Victor Jr intake. The air cleaner is the Edelbrock small oval. I run a 1/2" phenolic spacer under my carb.

IMAG00162.jpg

Here's the link to Summit for my air cleaner. They a whole bunch of different ones that are the same shape, but different style.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1236/

Man, I appreciate that. I've been wondering about that for a while. If you're running a spacer, then there would be plenty of room, if I didn't run one. At least I know it's doable. That doesn't even have a drop base?

Man, I appreciate that. I've been wondering about that for a while. If you're running a spacer, then there would be plenty of room, if I didn't run one. At least I know it's doable. That doesn't even have a drop base?

No problem. Those air cleaners do not have a dropped base. Even without the spacer I still had to cut the hood. But I like my engine to be able to pull in cool air. There is really no ram air effect that close to the hood of the car. I need to do something to seal the opening so the air cleaner pulls 100% of it's air from the outside. I might do some kind of Shaker setup later on. I'd just use the top of Shaker so it looked stock with the hood closed. But the top would sit on some kind of custom air box.

I've always like the Pro Star wheels, but I think your car looks best with the Magnums. Maybe I'm a little biased? :)

Edited by maxum96

No problem. Those air cleaners do not have a dropped base. Even without the spacer I still had to cut the hood. But I like my engine to be able to pull in cool air. There is really no ram air effect that close to the hood of the car. I need to do something to seal the opening so the air cleaner pulls 100% of it's air from the outside. I might do some kind of Shaker setup later on. I'd just use the top of Shaker so it looked stock with the hood closed. But the top would sit on some kind of custom air box.

I've always like the Pro Star wheels, but I think your car looks best with the Magnums. Maybe I'm a little biased? :)

After I posted that, I realized it would be impossible for that style cleaner to have a drop base. I will probably run a spacer as well, for the same reason.

I roll roll the 500s on the street. The Prostars are for when I hit the track.

No mini tub. Those are 15X8 wheels, with 4.5 backspacing. The Magnum 500s have 275/60/15s BFGs on the back, and the Prostars have a 275/50/15 with Mickey Thompsons ET street drag radials on them. I need a shorter tire on my track wheels to get it out of the hole with less bog, because I'm running 3.50 gears.

Edited by sportsroof69

dont be ashamed, Mopars are bad ass too. Just not your run of the mill Chevy. ;) ...and it's a damn nice color on that car!

I agree!! I have seen several Camaros between years 1967 thru 1969 in my area. I like those years of Camaros, but I never ever see a 1969 or a 1970 Mustang fastback.