Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

Clutch Fork Installation

I'm having difficulty installing the clutch fork and I have a couple questions. This is a 351W with a 4 speed toploader.

1- How does the clutch fork attach to the bell housing? As far as I can tell there is a clip on the back of the fork that fastens to the "Fulcrum" (Metal tab) which is attached to the bell housing. Is there any thing else that holds the fork in place?

2- My bell housing appears to be from a 3 speed and there isn't a hole in the fulcrum that will accept the clip on the back of the clutch fork. I have ordered a new fulcrum from NPD, am I on the right track? Is this a direct replacement?

Thanks

I'm having difficulty installing the clutch fork and I have a couple questions. This is a 351W with a 4 speed toploader.

1- How does the clutch fork attach to the bell housing? As far as I can tell there is a clip on the back of the fork that fastens to the "Fulcrum" (Metal tab) which is attached to the bell housing. Is there any thing else that holds the fork in place?

2- My bell housing appears to be from a 3 speed and there isn't a hole in the fulcrum that will accept the clip on the back of the clutch fork. I have ordered a new fulcrum from NPD, am I on the right track? Is this a direct replacement?

Thanks

You got it. The clutch fork simply slips on to that rounded clip on the inside of the bell housing. When the clutch linkage is disconnected, the clutch fork does appear to be only loosely connected, so I can understand your concern. But that's it.

To your second question...

I wish I could find a picture of a proper bell housing. I took a zillion pics during my rebuild, but not one of the clutch fork assembly. I'm trying to recall how the "fulcrum" looked, but it's a distant memory. I recall there were two "slots" on the fulcrum that the clutch fork attached to. Dang, I'm not helping much here. Maybe somebody here has a photo of the inside of the bell housing? I hope to never remove mine again.

Good luck.

Tom

Edited by foothilltom