Sign in to follow this  
edwards54

Gauge problem

I am working on my gauges because the only one that was working was the fuel guage. I ordered a replacement circuit board installed it and now even that isnt working. Is there a common mistake when installing a new board. The flashers work but thats it at this point. Also is there a way to test if I have a good regulator on the back of the gauges?

Thanks for the help

Bob

I am working on my gauges because the only one that was working was the fuel guage. I ordered a replacement circuit board installed it and now even that isnt working. Is there a common mistake when installing a new board. The flashers work but thats it at this point. Also is there a way to test if I have a good regulator on the back of the gauges?

Thanks for the help

Bob

Guages are always a big problem to fix. I would order a new circuit board relay switch too so everything would be new back there. Even get all new light bulbs because it isn't fun to take the dash pad and guages all apart more than once. The biggest problem with getting guages to work is being sure one isn't touching the metal of the guage housing. I put black electrical tape around all the guage metal housings to help insulate from the guages touching. If one is touching none will work.

Guages are always a big problem to fix. I would order a new circuit board relay switch too so everything would be new back there. Even get all new light bulbs because it isn't fun to take the dash pad and guages all apart more than once. The biggest problem with getting guages to work is being sure one isn't touching the metal of the guage housing. I put black electrical tape around all the guage metal housings to help insulate from the guages touching. If one is touching none will work.

I taped around the metal housing where the guages fit in. You can also buy the plastic covers that go over the studs that stick out on the back of the guages. I did that also. The origional guages had a cardboard that went between the 2 studs that stick out on the back of the guages that kept the guage centered to not touch the metal housing. After time these can warp and pull your guage to touch the metal of the instrument housing. CJ pony and the other places sell the plastic stud covers. Its best to try and do everything you can once you have everything apart. It took me 3 tries and many hours to finally get my guages , lights, and blinkers to work.

I taped around the metal housing where the guages fit in. You can also buy the plastic covers that go over the studs that stick out on the back of the guages. I did that also. The origional guages had a cardboard that went between the 2 studs that stick out on the back of the guages that kept the guage centered to not touch the metal housing. After time these can warp and pull your guage to touch the metal of the instrument housing. CJ pony and the other places sell the plastic stud covers. Its best to try and do everything you can once you have everything apart. It took me 3 tries and many hours to finally get my guages , lights, and blinkers to work.

Sounds like a possible grounding issue. Check and recheck ALL of your connections. The gauge regulator drops the car's voltage to a manageable 5 volts for the gauges. So if you have 12v in and 5v out, it's working. Bruce

Sounds like a possible grounding issue. Check and recheck ALL of your connections. The gauge regulator drops the car's voltage to a manageable 5 volts for the gauges. So if you have 12v in and 5v out, it's working. Bruce

Bruce is correct, but it is an average of 5 volts, so if you try to measure it with a voltmeter it will be 12 volts sometime and 0 volts sometime. This is true for the OEM voltage regulators. It changes between 12 volts and 0 volts slowly, so put a voltmeter on it and watch the voltage for a minute or so, you should see it change. If you have a new replacement regulator, they probably put out 5 volts all the time.

Bruce is correct, but it is an average of 5 volts, so if you try to measure it with a voltmeter it will be 12 volts sometime and 0 volts sometime. This is true for the OEM voltage regulators. It changes between 12 volts and 0 volts slowly, so put a voltmeter on it and watch the voltage for a minute or so, you should see it change. If you have a new replacement regulator, they probably put out 5 volts all the time.

You actually can measure it if you have access to an old analog style meter. It doesn't really swing from 12V to 0, but it swings enough that a digital meter probably won't resolve it (at least mine won't). You can't see it in the pictures but I'm measuring the oil pressure sender connector and the needle is actually swinging about 3V back and forth :scared:

Old school tools for old school cars I suppose.