Sign in to follow this  
Wade

Factory wheel question

I tried to do a search but I keep getting a database error. So I'll just post my question.

Does anyone know what the Mach 1 had as a factory wheel?

According to my Marti report there is no wheel option listed, it only mentions the tires: F70X14 wide oval belted tires.

I've seen mention in other places of factory "Styled steel wheels" but would it have that on it as part of the mach 1 package?

If so, would the spare wheel also be a "styled steel wheel" to match or just a black steel wheel?

Thanks!

I tried to do a search but I keep getting a database error. So I'll just post my question.

Does anyone know what the Mach 1 had as a factory wheel?

According to my Marti report there is no wheel option listed, it only mentions the tires: F70X14 wide oval belted tires.

I've seen mention in other places of factory "Styled steel wheels" but would it have that on it as part of the mach 1 package?

If so, would the spare wheel also be a "styled steel wheel" to match or just a black steel wheel?

Thanks!

In 69 it's the wheel pictured in Max Power's sig. On the 69 of course.

Whether the spare was also a SS wheel is a Bob Perkins question.

Now i have a question for Max Power: What is the OD of the beauty ring on the SS wheel? I've got this crazy idea to have a custom 17" wheel made to look like the 68/69 SS wheel with a beauty ring so that it looks proportionally "correct" or at least pretty close.

Sorry to hijack your thread Wade.

Now i have a question for Max Power: What is the OD of the beauty ring on the SS wheel? I've got this crazy idea to have a custom 17" wheel made to look like the 68/69 SS wheel with a beauty ring so that it looks proportionally "correct" or at least pretty close.

I don't know, but when I called Specialty Wheel in Oregon, they didn't even have 15" trim rings, just the factory OE 14" ones. That's why I went with the chrome outer and argent painted inner, as my wheels are 15 x 7 and 15 x 8.

To the OP, I believe the 69 Mach only came with the styled steel wheels similar to the GT wheels from the year before. I believe in 1970, they actually had sport wheelcovers instead of factory mags. I am sure the 70 experts can correct me on that.

I don't know, but when I called Specialty Wheel in Oregon, they didn't even have 15" trim rings, just the factory OE 14" ones. That's why I went with the chrome outer and argent painted inner, as my wheels are 15 x 7 and 15 x 8.

To the OP, I believe the 69 Mach only came with the styled steel wheels similar to the GT wheels from the year before. I believe in 1970, they actually had sport wheelcovers instead of factory mags. I am sure the 70 experts can correct me on that.

The stock factory wheel on both 69 and 70s was a 14 " rim. I bought my 69 Mach used in 1973...it had a chromed steel wheel spare that matched the other four. I suspect if you had a Boss 429 it would have been a stock 15" Magnum 500. I believe that was also the case in 1970. I believe all the big blocks got 15" if they were ordered with Magnum 500s. The stock wheels were always 14" unless ordered with Magnum 500 wheels.

JAG

The stock factory wheel on both 69 and 70s was a 14 " rim. I bought my 69 Mach used in 1973...it had a chromed steel wheel spare that matched the other four. I suspect if you had a Boss 429 it would have been a stock 15" Magnum 500. I believe that was also the case in 1970. I believe all the big blocks got 15" if they were ordered with Magnum 500s. The stock wheels were always 14" unless ordered with Magnum 500 wheels.

JAG

I cannot remember the correct name for the 1970 staock wheels.I will attempt to describe them. The wheel was steel with a beauty ring similiar to the 1969. It had a inner flat, slightly concave dog dish style of hub cap that had the same finish as the beauty rings. I always liked them but most people did not. These were not wheels many people kept. Because of that thesewheels are now fairly rare.

JAG

I cannot remember the correct name for the 1970 staock wheels.I will attempt to describe them. The wheel was steel with a beauty ring similiar to the 1969. It had a inner flat, slightly concave dog dish style of hub cap that had the same finish as the beauty rings. I always liked them but most people did not. These were not wheels many people kept. Because of that thesewheels are now fairly rare.

JAG

Standard wheels on coupes were steel with the dog dish center cap (10.5" I think) that had Ford Motor Company stamped into it. Ford called this the "Base Wheel Cover." Strangely enough they must be getting rare because I cant find a picture anywhere online, although I have some in the attic.

Next up was the option wheel covers (hubcaps) called "Sports Wheel Covers." This was standard on Grandes, $26 upgrade on base models. It was a full wheel cover that was brushed aluminum with 16 black simulated air slots and stamped Mustang in the center.

frd685.jpg

Then there were "Wire wheel covers"...slightly different than the 69's.

frd639.jpg

"Magnum 500's" of course.

Magnum500Wheel.jpg

Then the std Mach 1 wheel covers (first pic posted by Max Power and the pic below) which Ford called "Deep Dish Sports Wheel Covers" on their invoices. These were also available as a pay for upgrade on V8 grandes (and probably others as people will argue, but Ford didnt list it that way)... see above. These came in two depths, shallow and deep. Only the center portion varied in depth as the trim rings were removable (5 screws if my memory serves me) and the same. It appears only 351-4v and up got the deep covers as it was used on the 7" rims... all others got 6" rims with shallow covers.

11160d1281731759-1970-wheel-covers-003.jpg

The second pic posted below by Max Power (orange car) shows what was called "Argent Styled Steel Wheels" by Ford, argent being the paint color (although the backs were painted black). These were actually available as a free upgrade when you bought the Mach 1 OR Grande package. I think they are nicer personally. Also, this setup was std on Boss 302's as Max Powers third pic shows.

The options list below might help...

[ATTACH]7344[/ATTACH]

Alright, I need another beer after that...

L8R

Edited by Fordrevhead

Standard wheels on coupes were steel with the dog dish center cap (10.5" I think) that had Ford Motor Company stamped into it. Ford called this the "Base Wheel Cover." Strangely enough they must be getting rare because I cant find a picture anywhere online, although I have some in the attic.

Next up was the option wheel covers (hubcaps) called "Sports Wheel Covers." This was standard on Grandes, $26 upgrade on base models. It was a full wheel cover that was brushed aluminum with 16 black simulated air slots and stamped Mustang in the center.

frd685.jpg

Then there were "Wire wheel covers"...slightly different than the 69's.

frd639.jpg

"Magnum 500's" of course.

Magnum500Wheel.jpg

Then the std Mach 1 wheel covers (first pic posted by Max Power and the pic below) which Ford called "Deep Dish Sports Wheel Covers" on their invoices. These were also available as a pay for upgrade on V8 grandes (and probably others as people will argue, but Ford didnt list it that way)... see above. These came in two depths, shallow and deep. Only the center portion varied in depth as the trim rings were removable (5 screws if my memory serves me) and the same. It appears only 351-4v and up got the deep covers as it was used on the 7" rims... all others got 6" rims with shallow covers.

11160d1281731759-1970-wheel-covers-003.jpg

The second pic posted below by Max Power (orange car) shows what was called "Argent Styled Steel Wheels" by Ford, argent being the paint color (although the backs were painted black). These were actually available as a free upgrade when you bought the Mach 1 OR Grande package. I think they are nicer personally. Also, this setup was std on Boss 302's as Max Powers third pic shows.

The options list below might help...

[ATTACH]7344[/ATTACH]

Alright, I need another beer after that...

L8R

Edited by Fordrevhead

Fordrevhead you have described the wheel options correctly.It been many years since I have thought about the subject. The pictures and explanation are as I also remember it.

JAG

Thanks, I just went back and edited my post and added the option list that didn't show up for some reason.

Fordrevhead you have described the wheel options correctly.It been many years since I have thought about the subject. The pictures and explanation are as I also remember it.

JAG

Thanks, I just went back and edited my post and added the option list that didn't show up for some reason.