Sign in to follow this  
Wade

3rd place at concours, 1st place for best Ford in show

hey guys, I just got back from a car show today and came back with 2 awards; best Ford in show and 3rd place in the concours class. I drove it there and then spent and hour cleaning little bugs and debris off of it.

I got dinged for several things by the concours judges, I need to get a spare tire and jack. I did not think they'd look in the trunk. Anyway, I need to find a good place to get a factory correct spare tire, jack and mounting hardware.

Does anyone know if the Cougars had the same spare tire set up? there is a big junkyard full of old Cougars not too far away.

Anyway, I was not expecting to win anything but was very pleased. There was a band playing and after the awards they dedicated their next song to the 1969 Mach 1 Mustang and then played Mustang Sally! It was great fun at the car show. I was parked next to a 427 Cobra and there was a GT40 across from me.

Edited by Wade

I'm posting a few photos. One of them shows the judges around it, they kept coming back and looked it over 4 different times and one said "man you guys make it hard on us".

I have quite a few more to post but it has a 5 pic limit. The Chevelle SS was a very nice restoration and I had never seen a Plymouth Fury like that.

Now I just need to fix a few details, priority one being the spare wheel.

Awesome, that's impressive. I see lots of OEM jacks at swap meets. I would think Cougars had the same jack. I have my original jack but the "socket" had split. I found another handle at a swap meet with a badly bent arm but a perfect socket for $10 .. drove the pins out, swapped sockets with a new pin from Fastenal and it's good as new. Even jacks in good condition aren't prohibitively expensive. And they are reproduced as well.

I would think the correct spare would be an old school plain steel rim. For true concourse, you'd need an E70-14 bias ply tire.

I was just told that the spare was a full size spare wheel unless the car was ordered with a "Space saver" spare wheel. Mine was not ordered with that. According to the Marti Report My car was ordered with:

F70x14 Wide Oval Belted Tires

White Sidewall tires

Would the spare be that size too? And what is the difference in the "E" versus "F" sizes?

thank you

Full size spares were the same size as the original equipment on the car so as to be able to rotate the tires.

A 225/70/14 is pretty close to a F70x14 tire size.

a 205/70/14 is pretty close to a E70x14 tire size.