Sign in to follow this  
crstang

Removal of Hood Scoop

In the process of removing my hood scoop on my 69', three of the 6 studs want to turn along with the nut, and even then won't come out. I've put lubricant on the studs and still no luck. Anyone have a solution to this, as I'm afraid I will ruin the tight fit of the scoop if I get too rough trying to get them loose, and removed. :surrender:

I recall this same problem removing the boy's hood scoop. Just like Mach1Rider said, I remember putting vice grips on the nut and unscrewing the stud from the scoop (pulling down to coax it out). If memory serves, several of the studs were sort of "rotted out" of the scoop. After I got the stud/nut assembly out, I got the nut off by putting the stud in the bench-vice.

Finally, I remember epoxying the studs back into the scoop when I replaced it so I could put the nuts back on without the studs turning.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Well, I finally got brave and decided to tackle the hood scoop removal. I first removed the nuts that I could without the studs turning, and then tried what was recommended with no luck. I then used a wrench, and as I turned, I lightly lifted up on the hood scoop by hand and noticed that the each stud had a fixed washer which is intended to not allow the stud to leave the topside of the hood. I also noticed that on the underside of the hood just to the right and left of the blinker lights in the scoop that there were were two more nuts that needed to come off, and if not noticed or searched for, I might have totally ruined the scoop if too much muscle was applied while unscrewing the other studs. Luckily, I was able to remove the trouble studs, and the scoop. I used light vise grip pressure on the upper part of the studs, and was able to completely remove them from the hood, and was able to re-screw them into the scoop with a tight fit even with the semi-damaged threads. Because of the type of threads going into the scoop, it only helped gripping the top -vs- threads from the nut, which might have prevented me from ever removing the nut off the bottom. Installation will be a breeze after the hood and scoop are sanded or blasted and repainted with little effort after all is said and done. I was worried, but all is good. Hope this helps anyone!!!:clap: