Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

windshield wiper question

The wipers on my 69 coupe only worked on low speed but would stop after being used about 5 minutes. I would have to turn the wiper switch off then back on and they would work again till they stopped again. The high speed did not work. So I bought a new wiper motor and had it put in today. They work on low speed but still not on high speed. It hasnt rained so I havent tested low speed long enough to see if they stop like before. The guy that put the motor in said he thought the switch must be bad since its a new motor and high speed still does not work. Any ideas?

I also would suspect your switch. The switch has a resistor built into it to control the high/low speeds (like the dimmer on the headlamp switch). My guess is that the high setting is now just an open circuit. You could pull the wires from your switch and connect the +/- to see if the motor operates at high speed.

Interesting thing about the motor shutting off after 5 seconds or so. I can't imagine somebody put in some kind of relay but stranger things have happened. If it is your switch, will the guy let you return the motor? It may have been fine all along.

Good luck.

Tom

Wiper linkage ,etc looked good. Motor was probally good too. I ordered new one from CJ Pony parts. I'm kinda glad it has the new motor in it so I wont have to worry about that anymore. I'm going to order a new switch next. What has to be done to install a new switch?

If you order a new switch you might as well get one with the wiper delay function. You can get one from NPD, CJ, etc. It is pure plug and play. Just unscrew the bezel that holds the switch (the indentations you see while its in the dash...there is actually a special tool for this, but you can do it carefully without, just harder) slide out the switch, unplug the wires from the back, plug in your new switch and put it back in the dash. You can even test it while it hangs loose to avoid removing it again if needed. Note where your old switch is grounded and ground the new one in the same place, which is probably a screw attached to a metal dash bracket. Should take you no more than 5-10 minutes.

Your problem could also be a bad connection in the wire from the switch to the motor. It is not correct that there is a resistor in the switch as mentioned previously. There are 2 seperate wires from the switch to the motor, one for high speed and one for low. On the wires that connect to your switch, there is a blue one for fast speed. A white with black wire has +12 volts on it. So unplug the switch and connect a jumper wire between the white with black and the blue, and you should get the wiper to run on the fast speed.

If you decide to put in a wiper delay switch, I can help you out. I put one in mine, it is easy. I found one in a later model Ford that works perfect in a Mustang. Just unplug your old switch, and plug in the new one. I might even have one I can sell you, if interested, for half the price of a new one. I am not sure I have one, but I might have a spare switch I found at a junkyard. If you are interested, contact me, and I will help you with the installation.

I grabbed an intermittent wiper switch setup out of a Ford truck in the boneyard, I think it was a '91? Anyway, it cost me all of $11. Plugged right in to the existing harness:

http://www.thecurb.org/Webazine/Pits/iwipers/Rev_Iwipers.htm

I still have a little wiring work to finish up, so I haven't had a chance to test it yet (crosses fingers)!

FYI, when you get the intermittent box from the donar vehicle you also have to get the switch. A stock mustang switch does not have the ability to rotate counter-clockwise from the off position to give you the ability to vary the time that the wiper will work.