StephenC

4R70W swap update

Well I got my baby running and soooo close to driving today! All I need is too get my drive shaft shortened. I didn't have much time too work on in the past week because of family problems but I got around to finish it this weekend. The only thing left is too get my drive shaft shortened 1 1/4". A quick parts list of everything that I needed so if anyone isn't sure of what they need this is it.

- 4R70W transmission 98+ preferred

- Custom X member to move the trans mounting back about 1.5"

- Custom shift rod if you want to keep factory shifter

- 164 tooth flex plate

- AOD block plate

- Headers to clear an AOD or C6 or just fab your current ones like I did

- 1/4 NPD pipe fitting for the cooler in and cooler out lines on the trans

- 99-02 dipstick tube from a 3.8 Mustang

- TPS and location bracket

- Yoke from a 98+ 4R70W or a T5

- Baumanns controller obviously

And I think that about does it. All and all I spent around $1300 for everything. Not too bad seeing as how the TCI C4 I was going to put in was about the same and that's only a 3 speed. Obviously you would save some money if you are swapping from an AOD, C6, or FMX trans but still not too costly. Also not that it really matters for me but when you put the 4R in since it is 164 LBS compared to the 112 LBS C4 I took out it makes the motor tilt rearward a little more. I will put up some pics of everything once I get it to my work so I can get it above a pit.

Also just wanted to say thanks too everyone on the forum for your support and help when i got stuck I really appreciate it!!

Edited by StephenC

Did you have your tranny rebuilt ? I just picked my 4R up 2 days ago, its a low milage unit that looks pretty clean, but it didnt have the little box on the shifter rod...Do i need that? It has the complete harness tho...Its out of a 96 V-8 Exploder, couldnt get my hands on 98 and above ...But i did only pay 100 bucks for it and got a Drive shaft yolk to boot....I have half a mind to get mine in as a stock tranny just to see how much of a beating it will take but I hate to tear it up...A local guy here told me 1500 for a good performance rebuild....seems kinda steep...Anyone in Louisiana wana help me out on a rebuild :P

grats on the install BTW.

Mike

Did you have your tranny rebuilt ? I just picked my 4R up 2 days ago, its a low milage unit that looks pretty clean, but it didnt have the little box on the shifter rod...Do i need that? It has the complete harness tho...Its out of a 96 V-8 Exploder, couldnt get my hands on 98 and above ...But i did only pay 100 bucks for it and got a Drive shaft yolk to boot....I have half a mind to get mine in as a stock tranny just to see how much of a beating it will take but I hate to tear it up...A local guy here told me 1500 for a good performance rebuild....seems kinda steep...Anyone in Louisiana wana help me out on a rebuild :P

grats on the install BTW.

Mike

Yeah I had my trans rebuilt at a speed shop in Philly. I'm not sure what little box your referring too? The neutral safety switch? Well I found out today that I couldnt get my driveshaft shortened because of the rubber lining between the 2 driveshast so they made me 49 3/8" long it was only about $260 and I will be putting it in tomorrow so I will let everyone know how the test drive goes.

Well I found out today that I couldnt get my driveshaft shortened because of the rubber lining between the 2 driveshast...
Weird, how come they couldn't shorten the other end? $260 isn't bad for a new shaft anyway...

Mike, that is still a good price for the tranmission. Is the transmission low mile and in good shape? I did not rebuild mine, although I cant share the results since my car is still at least a year away from being driven. I just did the jmod (basically a DIY shift kit), which is not rocket science. Since you have a V8 trans, with a jmod I would think it would hold up to quite a bit of abuse.

The black box is the MLPS. you can grab that out of anything, including cars with a 4.6, but you will have to let baumanns know the year since early MLPS are analog (8 pin IIR) and the later ones are digital (12 pin)

Steven,

congrats for getting all this work done. Cant wait to hear how the baumannator works!

Weird, how come they couldn't shorten the other end? $260 isn't bad for a new shaft anyway...

Steven,

congrats for getting all this work done. Cant wait to hear how the baumannator works!

I dont know they didnt say why they couldnt they just said no. Haha but yeah I thought it would be a lot more that $260 and I'm going to test drive it today so I will defiantly put an update.

Well all I have to say is WOW!!! I just took it around my subdivision with a top speed of 35. But man it feels so nice the shifts are clean and smooth no jerking or late shifts. I would recommend that Jmod or an aftermarket VB be used. I didnt drive it with the factory one but the way my shifts with a TCI VB is amazing same thing as the Jmod shifts are alot quicker than my buddies 99 Mustang is. I was a little skeptic about the swap with the 31 year difference between the two trans but nothing felt better that actually driving it after all that hard work and devotion for it to run so nicely. The only thing I have to say thats negative is the 2-1 downshift has a little jerk in it which I'm sure can be adjusted out with the baumanns. Other than that I am highly satisfied with this swap and I recomend if for anyone who wants OD. I will hopefully be able to take it out on the road tomorrow once I put the exhaust back on and renew my plates.

Awesome!!!

is the 2-1 downshift harsh when you force it down, or when you come to a stop? If it is when you come to a stop, can you adjust the table so the 2-1 shift will happen at a slower speed?

Only when I'm coming to a stop. Yeah it can be adjust out for a lower RPM downshift which I will have to do when I get my exhaust back on. Also if any one is interested I have 98- safety inspection plate and a TPS location bracket just pay for shipping and you can have it. I'll put some pics up of the two pieces if anyone's interested.

I would be interested Steve :) Seems I will need them anyhow...Talked to a local friend who works for dodge, he said he could do the tranny for me free if i buy the parts :) SWEET

Mike

OK I Will upload the some pics in a sec so you can make sure they will work with your trans and tps.

The TPS bracket im sure i can use, cuz i dont have a TPS yet, so i will need to get the one for that TPS bracket, but the inspection cover wont work, i have a 95 or 96 V-8 Exploder tranny.

You know what TPS i need ? or does the tranny determine the tps u use?

Mike

The TPS bracket im sure i can use, cuz i dont have a TPS yet, so i will need to get the one for that TPS bracket, but the inspection cover wont work, i have a 95 or 96 V-8 Exploder tranny.

You know what TPS i need ? or does the tranny determine the tps u use?

Mike

I used the Acculink TPS you can look on Baumanns website he tells you what TPS will work.