Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

New Engine and Trans

As some of you may know from my past threads I have been having engine and trans issues for a while now.

The engine has had an annoying tapping sound for some time now, which I’m fairly confident, is the result of a bad lifter or two, in addition to low compression readings and leaking oil. The Transmission has been acting up as well, making a horrible groaning sound and taking off from a dead stop at stoplights has become somewhat embarrassing between my snails pace accelerations and the clack-clack-clack coming from under the hood.

A few weeks ago I received a notice in the mail from my HOA informing me that they were about to re-stripe the development’s parking spaces and that all cars had to be moved for the entire day. Refusing to park the Mustang on the public street, I opted to park her at my parent’s house. After not starting her for over two weeks I got in her and fired her up. The usual tapping sound was still there as expected, but when the transmission decided to take a turn for the worse and ended up having to drive the entire way to my parent’s house in second gear. Luckily they only lived 10 miles away.

I didn’t run into my first snag until I went to remove the radiator. One of the trans lines going into the bottom of the radiator gave up a fight and the result was a crimped trans line. Simple enough fix, cut and flare the end and should be back in business.

Next obstacle occurred when I went to remove the driveshaft. After removing the U-bolts, I took a large screwdriver and pushed the driveshaft further up in the trans mission to allow clearance for the back of the driveshaft to drop down. This little maneuver almost resulted in a bump on the head when one of the end caps fell off the universal joint. Just add that to the list of parts to get.

I removed the engine and trans all at one time and this required some creative maneuvering to pull off. Being in a grassy yard the engine hoist was in a ¾ sheet of plywood to allow some rolling ability and prevent the hoist from sinking in the ground.

So the process went something like this. Lift the engine and trans, drop the car down from the jack stands, roll the car back, bring over a small trailer, drop the motor in the back of the trailer, pull out hoist and away she goes.

So what’s next? Soon I hope to have her off to the paint and body shop to take care of repainting the entire engine bay. I’m still on the fence about buying a crate engine or rebuilding mine, and the same goes for the trans, buy new or rebuild. Right now I’m leaning real heavily toward crate engine and new trans.

We’ll see what the next few weeks bring.

Below are a few pics of the old engine, the now naked engine bay and the cap from the universal joint. I reset all the needle bearings and discovered one was missing. I'm just going to sprink for a new one.

If you go with a new transmission what are you looking at going with? This may be a good time for an AOD swap and a steeper rear gear. Just a thought.

A 302 with Cleveland heads sounds like a fun project, especially since you have a Boss clone. Not cheap to do but would have the cool factor. If you are looking for an engine guy, Jim Woods at fordstrokers is about as good as they get.

If you go with a new transmission what are you looking at going with? This may be a good time for an AOD swap and a steeper rear gear. Just a thought.

A 302 with Cleveland heads sounds like a fun project, especially since you have a Boss clone. Not cheap to do but would have the cool factor. If you are looking for an engine guy, Jim Woods at fordstrokers is about as good as they get.

If I go with new I'm going to go with TCI's C4. I thought about an AOD swap but my budget is tight on this project and I don't have room for the added expense of a shorter driveshaft. TCI has the complete kit with trans, bellhousing, torque converter, and universal trans cooler for $1400.

As for the motor I'll probably just stick with a regular 302. Not really interested in a stroker motor or huge horsepower. My car will never see track time, so I just want a good all-round daily driver motor that can handle highway speeds. If I opt not to rebuild mine I'll probably go with the turn-key 302/320HP motor from Fivestar Engine and Cylinder Head Exchange from AZ for $3295.

Kudos to you man! I know you've been skiddish about working on the car in the past. Glad you opted to pull the motor/trans yourself instead of paying someone to do it. That takes balls for someone with limited mechanical experience. Congrats!

I'll bet you're glad we talked you into keeping it now! :whistling:lol

So if the budget is tight why not just degrease, scuff and paint the engine bay yourself? You did all the hardwork already and it looks pretty clean to start with so freshening it up should be a snap and I would think save some bucks from letting the shop do it.

I'll bet you're glad we talked you into keeping it now! :whistling:lol

So if the budget is tight why not just degrease, scuff and paint the engine bay yourself? You did all the hardwork already and it looks pretty clean to start with so freshening it up should be a snap and I would think save some bucks from letting the shop do it.

Hey Pak,

I was originally going to do it myself. but I have a few small repairs that need to be done. A friend of mine owns a body shop and he offered to come pick it up and do the work for me. He said he would give me a good deal because I've done a lot of work for him building him a website that he can show off all of his Mustangs. He's the same guy that repaired and repainted the passenger side after the garage fell on it this past winter.

As for being glad that I kept her.....well my wife probably isn't so happy, but I think I'll fall back in love with the car when I finally get the chance to drive and enjoy her.

If you are sticking with a c4 it will be cheaper to rebuild what you have, especially since you are not looking to put a lot of engine in front of it.

A few places I've called already have quoted me about $800 for a rebuild on my C4 not including the torque converter. So the price to rebuild it and buy a new torque converter almost makes it not worth it over buying a new trans. But we'll see. I still haven't made my mind up yet. I want to call a few more places first before I make a decision.

You'll fall even deeper in love having tackled a bunch of it yourself, all relationships have their ups and downs and hobby cars are no different. Good cars need good owners, you show 'em a little love and they'll return it two fold. That next ride is going to be like make up sex, it's a cherry high you won't see until the next thing that goes wrong, and there will be a next time unfortunately but that's part of the fun, it's good to be needed.

A few places I've called already have quoted me about $800 for a rebuild on my C4 not including the torque converter. So the price to rebuild it and buy a new torque converter almost makes it not worth it over buying a new trans. But we'll see. I still haven't made my mind up yet. I want to call a few more places first before I make a decision.

Dont forget shipping of that new trans in the total price.

Do a search on TCI, thought they had quite a few bad reviews in the past.

I have heard the same thing as well. I have never owned any of their products but this is what I heard, so take it for what its worth.

I've decided to get the trans rebuilt. I found a local shop that was recommended by a friend of mine that restores Mustangs. The same shop he has all his trans rebuilt at. They quoted me $850 including torque converter and a 1 year warranty. This will save me about $600 over buying the package from TCI when you factor in I'll save in shipping.

Hello Big Secz,

I am really glad you have an extra set of hands helping a bit.

I am confident you could have done it alone but company always makes

the little snags easier to deal with.

You deserve some good help my friend.

After I talked to you, I forgot to mention that if unsure of the

universal size, get the ones they have and return the wrong size.

I have made friends with several parts stores over the years and they

sure can help out. Find the "real" mechanic there and then talk with him.

Some of those guys are real real smart.

Keep us informed and I can't wait to hear about the flex plate.

Be well my good friend,

Print Dad

I made a call yesterday to a shop that was recommended by a buddy of mine, the same guy that restored Mustangs and recommended the trans shop, to rebuild my 302. I had a good conversation with the guy. Given that my existing Performer intake, Holley 600 CFM carb, and MSD distributor are only about a year old, he said he can reuse all those parts he said that he can build me a nice mild 302 in the 300 hp range for under $3,000. So it looks like I'll be getting the motor rebuilt as well. I'm kind of glad about this because the motor and trans are original to the car. Not to mention I won't have to worry about storing an extra motor and trans.

On a side note this buddy of mine that restores Mustangs has an amazing collection. He's constantly buying restoring and selling cars and every once in a while when he finds a real gem he'll keep it for himself.

His personal cars consist of:

'68 Shelby GT 500

'69 Cobra Jet Mach 1

'70 Boss 302

'68 Cobra Jet Fastback

'66 Shelby GT 350 Hertz (Red)

'64 Galaxy 427

'70 Boss 302 Cougar

And a few others currently under restoration. So I usually trust his judgment when he recommends a shop that he uses all the time.

Just a quick update. Today I separated the motor and transmission. Not a tough job once I figuured everything out.

Wednesday my buddy is going to pick up the car and take it to his body shop to repaint the engine bay.

I've decided to rebuild both the trans and engine. I got some pretty good prices on the rebuilds. So Thursday I'll be dropping the trans and engine off at the two shops to get rebuilt. I have my fingers crossed I can get them back in a couple weeks.

Hey Pak,

I was originally going to do it myself. but I have a few small repairs that need to be done. A friend of mine owns a body shop and he offered to come pick it up and do the work for me. He said he would give me a good deal because I've done a lot of work for him building him a website that he can show off all of his Mustangs. He's the same guy that repaired and repainted the passenger side after the garage fell on it this past winter.

As for being glad that I kept her.....well my wife probably isn't so happy, but I think I'll fall back in love with the car when I finally get the chance to drive and enjoy her.

Stay the course mate as nothing worth doing is easy,My wife aint to happy either,even unhappier when i started the restoration but i know she will love the finnished product.As for budgets ,im hearing ya its hard for some of us but ya gotta have a one track mind to see it through.Good luck with ya running gear.Cheers.

My buddy came and picked up the Mustang today to take to his body shop to paint and detail the engine bay. A day ahead of schedule which is good. Should have her back next week. Thursday I'll be dropping the trans and motor off at thier respective shops to get rebuilt.

Olaf is a good guy, I've met him and had the opportunity to talk with him on several occasions.

I met him over a year ago when I sold him my first Mustang "project", a '66 coupe. Since then he has become a real good friend and has helped me out numerous times. His body shop does excellent work, and Olaf really knows his Mustangs.

I just built him a website (www.olafsmustangs.com). I still have to walk him through how to update the content but he's been adding pictures of his cars to his gallery. It's always fun to see what new additions he has made to his project list, it's constantly changing. He's got a '69 Boss 429 on a rotissere in his shop now that he's building.

The paint will be flowing tomorrow and I'll have the car back Wednesday evening. I picked up the Transmission this past friday, now I just need the engine which should be ready this coming Friday. This past weekend I painted a few parts and replaced both u-joints. On a side note, a bunch of idiots work at my Autozone.

The paint will be flowing tomorrow and I'll have the car back Wednesday evening. I picked up the Transmission this past friday, now I just need the engine which should be ready this coming Friday. This past weekend I painted a few parts and replaced both u-joints. On a side note, a bunch of idiots work at my Autozone.