Sign in to follow this  
Max Power

Turn sugnal inop.

OK, got the car back from the body shop. Turn signals work on the right side fine. On the left side, the dash blinker works fine, but none of the exterior lights are blinking.

Since the front and rear run off different harnesses, I am guessing that the source of the problem is somewhere in the turn signal switch or wiring before that signal from the TS switch is split between the two harnesses.

Anybody ever experience this?

Oh, and when activating the flashers, just the right side blinks as well.

Normally I would suspect a ground or something, but no harnesses were messed with under the dash, just the hood and trunk areas. Everything worked when I brought it in.

Anyway, I would appreciate is someone has had a similar experience sharing what they found.

Thanks.

Monsignor Power, some clarifying questions:

Does your left brake light work correctly? Does your left-front parking lamp illuminate correctly? Just ruling out bad bulbs, broken connections, etc.

I recall an Green wire (with an orange stripe?) coming out of the turn signal switch that controls the left-rear turn signal but I can't recall if that also fed the front-left turn signal. I'd have to check my wiring diagram.

Anywho, I think you're wise to suspect the TS switch. I might suggest you use your meter and see if you're getting 12V coming out of that green-orange wire when the left signal is in operation.

Both of my coupes had issues with turn signals and both were cured by replacing the TS switch...which is something of a hassle.

I'd verify 12V at that point first but I'd bet a donut it is your TS.

Edited by foothilltom

OK, bulbs are new.

This morning your brake light question reminded me to go back out to the garage while it is dark, because I couldn't tell on the brake lights yesterday. The brake light only worked on the right side, but while turning on the headlights in the dark, I noticed the drivers side was much dimmer, which screams ground. Found that I had not connected one small ground eyelet from the rear harness by the gas tank filler, and that not only cleared up the dimness, but it also restored operation of the turn signal in the rear on the drivers side.

This tells me that I also have a ground problem in the front as well. This is the joy of getting your harness back from the body shop in a box. I thought I had everything hooked up correctly up front, but I will do some digging for a missing ground connection tonight. If the heat index dips below 105 degrees that is....LOL!

Kinda odd that I could miss two grounds on the same side, but you never know.

Interesting.

The bacl ground lead fixed the rear, and I have found an intermittent open in the ground leads to the front. I suspect the turn signal indicator to probably be a bulb.

Three inop turn signals, three different causes. The joys of restoration.

Question: Has anybody ever bought one of the repro headlight wiring harnesses available from the Mustang vendors? All of them state that you have to use the old firewall connector, and I am interested in learning what it takes to do that. Do I have to splice all the wires into the old connector? Remove them with a pin tool?

I replaced my front wiring harness with one from Mustangs Unlimited and I had to use my old firewall connector. You don't splice it. The wires slide out the back and you slide the new ones in. Be sure you have a diagram or take pictures to get them all back in the correct place. Wasn't very difficult.

I could stop by and take a look at what you have got, if it would help. I have a 69 vert, maybe you have seen me around town or at a show. I also happen to be an electrical engineer, so electrical problems are probably a lot easier for me to solve.

Let me know, Dan

Appreciate the offer danno, but I have it pretty much solved.

I talked to a buddy at NPD and he confirmed that you have to remove all the pins from your old connector. Silly me, I would think spending over $200 for a harness should give you the basic connector for plug and play.

If I am gonna have to dick around, I will just repair the harness I have. Grounds are easy anyway.

Max, I replaced the headlight harness on my car not too long ago, wasn't too hard at all. It was worth it to me to just replace the whole thing because the PO had done a little "creative splicing", plus it was just brittle with age. Hope yours is in better shape. Good luck!