Sign in to follow this  
302coupe

Door weatherstripping install

Hey all,im trying to figure out how to install some weatherstripping onto the doors of my 69 coupe.Ive included a pic(hopefully attached correctly) of the weatherstripping and the door.Any help would be appreciated.

[ATTACH]7178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7179[/ATTACH]

I think I can help you out, but it would help to know:

* Is there any weatherstripping currently on your doors? (i'm guessing no)

* Do you have a *complete* replacement kit? A picture of all of it would help.

I replaced the stripping completely on my son's coupe, so I think I can help you out with pictures and whatnot.

Tom

I took a few pictures of the driver's side door that should help you out. Obviously, the passenger side is done exactly the same way.

There should be 3 sheet metal screws that attach the fatter end just below the window. This end has the cut out for the glass. You can see this from the photo I hope.

The stripping just runs down along the inside edge of the door, under the door, and terminates on the other side. There should be 2 more sheet metal screws that hold this skinnier end in place.

The key is the adhesive. I am including a photo of the adhesive I used and it worked great. Apply a thin layer on the rubber itself and a thin layer on the door (be sure to test fit it so you know where to apply the adhesive). Let the adhesive set up for a minute or two (follow the instructions on the tube if it disagrees with me).

You can do this alone, but it's nice to have multiple hands as you press the stripping into place. Start from the rear of the door, screw the fat end into place then just press the stripping in place. The adhesive does a real nice job of holding it against gravity. Try not to stretch the stripping as you go or it may not fit right by the time you get to the end.

I did this 2 years ago, but I don't recall it being too big of a hassle, and I'm not that good at this stuff.

Best of luck!

Tom[ATTACH]7180[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7181[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7182[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7183[/ATTACH]

Edited by foothilltom

wow thx foothilltom,i dont think ive ever had such an accurate answer to a problem.Kinda funny that you mention adhesive cause i spent the morning installing some trunk weatherstripping and didnt find it easy at all with just two hands.I had to use quick grips to hold it down at some places.Thats great tho,ill go get more adhesive and screws tomorrow.Thanks again for the prompt answers.

One3 thing to add is make sure you clean the weatherstripping before applying adhesive. I sprayed them with brake cleaner first.

This is a MUST! You'll notice a gray powdery look to it, which is the release agent for the rubber in the molds. Ya gotta get that stuff off otherwise be prepared for one heckuva adhesive mess, cause it won't stick to the rubber