Sign in to follow this  
Aw4g63

Cleaning metal pieces, Wow.

So today I was in the garage messing around, cleaning fender bolts with my wire wheel. Then I got to the fender clips and started thinking.

I have a bottle of this stuff on my work truck: Liquid Scale Dissolver by Nu-Calgon. It's a hydrochloric acid that dissolves anything and eats at metal.

Straight dissolver with the bolts submerged for 3 minutes took them to an insanely clean level. Basically refinished them by eating off a bit of surface.

I really wish I took before and after photos but I didn't. Next time I will.

HOWEVER, you must be VERY careful with this stuff. It's hydrochloric acid, VERY DANGEROUS. Rubber gloves, spash goggles, use outdoors only or with a proper respirator, etc..

Then I cleaned my hood hinges and other parts. Wow! They were covered in years of oily grease and gunk. Pulled them out and they're shiny.

Now I have to paint all this stuff that I cleaned today before it rusts. :euro:

I havent tried it yet but I just heard about a new Loctite product that I like the sounds of:

http://www.loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

Thats the same trick we used to use. Take a can of the keyboard cleaner and spray the bolt or nut with the can upside down so the liquid propellant sprays on the bolt or nut. Works great in a jamb.

Also works pretty well with installing bushings as the cold shrinks the part.