Sign in to follow this  
eatmyjeep

new guy, need c4 help

hey guys im new to the forum, i was hopeing you could help me out

Ok so i made the switch from the 302 to the 351w last week. In the process i lost a lot of ATF out of the tranny. so added some untill it was full. took a sec to kick in but it worked... drove it for 20 miles to get some pipes put on. Started it up and again it took 30sec to go into gear? drove it home and parked it. Tried to move it this morning and wont go into gear at all.

any Ideas? why it not going into gear

Did you recheck the fluid level after you drove it the 20 miles?

If you levelled it out initially and didn't put it through the gears then maybe after the run it's now too low.

Just throwing out suggestions that won't cost you much....John

The fluid level after the 20 mile run read "over filled" OH i dont know if this helps but wile i was driving it back from the shop, right before a complete stop the car would shutter. and it wasent the brakes it was deff the transmission. but that seemed to go away by the time i got home

DRASTIK:

the car was running and it was in park.

I was just out there with my buddy and i disconnected the modulator line from the tree and ran it directly to the vacuum port on the back of the intake manifold. well just kinda held it in place. wile my buddy put it into gear. IT WORKED! lol until i made it a little more permanent and tried it myself. It whoulnt go into gear again.

before we get to transmission how about some other basics... did you try to use the 302 shift down linkage?? Is the shifter linkage warn out (ie: is it really going into gear)?

1. should check running warm, level and in neutral. Newer autos you check in park however.

2. At this point I would replace the modulator for $12

3. ... but perhaps the old fluid was full of band material and now with the new fluid it's slipping? Adjust bands torque to 10ft/lbs and then back off 1 1/2 turns, on the Rev band torque 10ft/lbs back off 2 turns.

Then, with three shakes of the wand and some snake oil ointment you will be burning rubber again!

Edited by Fordrevhead

just checked the linkage its fine

from what ive read the transmission will work without vacuum it just wont go into 3rd gear

I pulled the transmission cooler lines and check to see if the pump was pumping fluid and it deff was. so i no longer thinking its the pump..

do you guys think it could be a clogged filter? a buddy of mine said hes seen the filter deal fall down to the bottom of the pan on some GM cars. dont know if ours are the same.

WHold love any suggestions if youve got any, Thanks

from what ive read the transmission will work without vacuum it just wont go into 3rd gear

This is correct.

When you were driving it (after it took 30 seconds to engage) did it ever slip?

Also, if it's still reading over full, that's not doing you any favors. (you may have corrected it when testing the pump function with the cooler line disconnected:tongue_smilie:)

I just found out its an FMX transmission if that makes any difference?

EDIT: I dont know if it slipped? i was running only headers and dont have the kickdown hooked back up

Edited by eatmyjeep