Sign in to follow this  
Ignacio

Need help with coupe trunk weatherstrip!!!

Hi everyone! Im in the last Stages of the restoration and I am stuck with the trunk weatherstrip and cant seem to figure out the problem:scared: making the problem short it wont seal propery! The seal is a new repro from npd. Anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? Can you post pics of the seals you guy used?

Hola! I'm not following your question, Ignacio. When you say it's not sealing properly, are you saying that the weatherstripping is installed but you're still getting moisture/water in the trunk?

If so, I might suggest you take a picture of the underside of your trunk and post it here so we can see if the stripping is properly placed.

Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised to have moisture in your trunk. These cars weren't ever watertight.

Tom

No, tank is not in. I get inside the trunk and see if the light from the lamp goes in and i have lots of places were i have 1/2 an inch of light, and if i move it to seal that space it will not be straight at all :P . I also have some problems that in some parts it seems that the weatherstrip is way too thick so i was wondering maby the repro from npd was not very good quality.

1/2"... hmmm, and how's the fit of the trunk lid itself? to the quarters that is? A lot of the lids are a poor fit. If the lid fits well I'd be temped to take the seal off and "adjust" the trunk apron so there's a consistent gap from the seal ridge to the lid. Pick a spot where the seal works well and measure that gap. Make a gauge... out of a block of wood or something and go from there. Of course if the car is painted this "adjustment" wont be so nice.

Get a seal from a 66 I believe it is.....Its a bit of a thicker seal, this is what a few knowledgeable restoration guys here have told me.. the seal def appears to be a bit thicker, this may take care of some of the gap problems

Mike

I just did the trunk weather stripping on my 69 coupe today and i had to adjust the bolts on the side of the trunk lid "arms" several times to get to fit properly.Might be ur problem.If after that ur having problems getting the trunk to close and lock you can alter the actual lock's position as well.