Sign in to follow this  
SpadzSaleen

351w bellhousing Help! Engine Gurus Needed!

Hello everyone, I'm very new to this site and the whole building a mustang world. I have a question that needs an Engine Guru to answer.

I recently bought a 1970 Mustang Mach 1, the vehicle came with no motor so i went to a local performance shop and they are building me a 351w. Now he included the block for free for me and when we looked up the casting number it came up as a 1984 block.

My question is, I want to put in a top loader. Will i be able to put in a 1969-70 era 351w bellhousing?? Are the blocks the same from 1969 all the way up to 1984??

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replies!

Thing with scattershield bells is in Canada they want almost 600-1000 bucks for one! I should have added that my car is strictly going to be cruising with an occasional fun, no drag strips for this car. So i feel spending that much on a bellhousing would be crazy.

As long as the block didn't come out of a truck everything should be fine. If the used block has the flywheel and came off a truck then the flywheel will not fit in a newer bell housing. They need a 157 tooth flywheel. Since you're going to use for cruising, you may want to look into a T5 set up so you don't burn so much gas.

hrm if its out of the truck i toss it and get a early 351w block. as for the bell housing i agree with the statements above.

but my question is what kind of re-build are you doing? a stock rebuild or a mild-performance rebuild? seems like your spending a pretty penny.

Basically all the guy is using is the block out of the original motor. Its going to be all forged internals, with about 450-500 hp at the motor. So id say mild performance. The car is only going to be a occasionally weekend cruiser with some power.

The E3 and E4 351W castings ('83 and '84) were both truck HO blocks; very stout and much beefier than the D2 or D4 castings that were for cars. They will easily hold 600 hp all day long when set up properly.

The truck rods were also better than what came in the cars as they had spot faced shoulders instead of broached. They are good to over 500 hp and 6200 rpm, so unless you're building something radical, I would re-use them as well.

Edited by 69gmachine
clarification