Sign in to follow this  
70Mach03

Brand new 2010 1969 Mach 1....>

The August 2010 issue of Mustang Monthly contains the small photo and blurb that I've attached below about Retrobuilt's modern rendition of a 1969 Mach 1 using a 2005 to 2010 newer Mustang body. They also do a 1969 Shelby GT-500 version. Not sure what to think about but hopefully they'll be more out about it in the future.

I was just reading about that online this morning, here's a link with a clearer picture below.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/eventcoverage/mump_1008_2010_ford_mustang_shelbyfest/photo_11.html

She sure is a hefty looking bitch! The wheels have to go, would look much nicer with modern mach 1 wheels I think and I would be tempted to go with super dark tint on the windows and then do a faux rear qtr window instead. All in all I think I like it better than original Shelby version but she needs a little something else, not sure what but something.

mump_1008_08_o+shelby_gt500_festival+retrobuild_69_shelby_gt500.jpg

BTW, I came across another pic of it as well as some other, ummm, retro versions I guess would be the term. They all have something odd about them though. It has a creepy familliar vibe to it that just doesn't seem right.

62.jpg

IMAGE_462.jpg

35160d1193539512-new-retrobuilt-gt500-preview-small-3-4front.jpg

Might as well throw up the Shelby too, just for chit chat and conversation while we are at it.

retrobuilt_1969_shelby_ebay---14.jpg

I certainly like the Mach 1 more than the Shelby. Absolutely correct that the wheels need to go! I think what look weird is the height from the bottom of the front spoiler to the top of the shaker seem taller than original. There is something about the dome of the hood that makes it look fat in the front. It may not appear that way in person but that is what strikes me in the pictures.

I was just adding these pics to my photochop folder for future messing with to see if I could dial it in more and I came across a quickie chop I did for someone on Stangnet over 2 years ago, I wonder if this didn't give them the idea? I think the backwindow on the older model makes it work better.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3049&d=1210017476

I agree that something seems off with these cars, I prefer the stance of the red Shelby versus the other mods, but they are nice alternative if you want a newer ride with a flair of classic taste. I think these mods will evolve as time progresses and more guys build these cars...

It's the rocker panel's/sides that make these cars look so off. Newer cars have much longer/lower (vertically) doors/rockers/fenders/quarters/etc.

When you try to mate the old stuff to them, you see how much shorter (roof to rocker) the old cars really were!

I'm not sure why this is, maybe for aerodynamics (closer to the ground) or bumpers/crash reasons?

It's my biggest beef with the big 3's newest incarnations. For example, I love the look of the new Challenger, but when you get up close you can see the headlights/taillights are so far towards the top of the car, then it's just fat ugly wide bumpers/sides that go on for days! It's like 12" could be cut off the bottom of the car!

Look here:

http://www.nwautocreations.com/photos.html

This guy was mating a 69 Mach 1 to a 2005+ mustang. He had to fabricate special rocker extensions to make it all tie in together. Also the wheelbase is slightly different.

I was just reading about that online this morning, here's a link with a clearer picture below.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/eventcoverage/mump_1008_2010_ford_mustang_shelbyfest/photo_11.html

She sure is a hefty looking bitch! The wheels have to go, would look much nicer with modern mach 1 wheels I think and I would be tempted to go with super dark tint on the windows and then do a faux rear qtr window instead. All in all I think I like it better than original Shelby version but she needs a little something else, not sure what but something.

mump_1008_08_o+shelby_gt500_festival+retrobuild_69_shelby_gt500.jpg

prolly whats missing is that quarter window that we have in our 69's. i think this looks way better than the shelby. but the wheels need to go if it had different set of wheels then it would look sweet

.................. but the wheels need to go if it had different set of wheels then it would look sweet

Yeah, they probably wouldn't look bad except for the color. Maybe if they were painted black or argent instead of blue?

sorry but that is not better than the Shelby! 69 or 2010. The missing quarter window and the tall rear quarters make it look like a 14" wheel... that is horrible. The nose is ok, even though the hood curve is a little much.

I would take a wrecked Shelby that I had to rebuild over that thing anyday.

formus_gt500_cpe_10_06_cd_gallery.jpg

It's the front valance and the hood. Hood curve is akward and it doesn't sit as low, inner half of fender, past the peak, doesn't come down far enough. This would drop the hood lower. This is probably do to all the new engine specs/requirements with the electronics in place now a days. The rocker panel may have a little to do with it, but the valance is definitely the eye sore.

It's the front valance and the hood. Hood curve is akward and it doesn't sit as low, inner half of fender, past the peak, doesn't come down far enough. This would drop the hood lower. This is probably do to all the new engine specs/requirements with the electronics in place now a days. The rocker panel may have a little to do with it, but the valance is definitely the eye sore.

Ugh, I think the late Model Mustangs done up to look like vintage cars looks worse than the CRC conversion Vettes.

The late model cars are just a breed of their own as far as body styles. Trying to adapt "to scale" parts of vintage cars onto them just doesn't work well.

Ugh, I think the late Model Mustangs done up to look like vintage cars looks worse than the CRC conversion Vettes.

The late model cars are just a breed of their own as far as body styles. Trying to adapt "to scale" parts of vintage cars onto them just doesn't work well.

Anyone ever see one of these up close?

I saw one at a dealership in St. Louis. They had several 70 Mach 1's, 2 69 GT500 and a 69 Mach along with the Retrobuilt. I was seriously considering the Retrobuilt until I saw it in person. Not my cup of tea and the cost was quite high with a huge potential for loss if you ever needed to sell. I ended up with a 69 Mach S-code.