Sign in to follow this  
ScottR

Heat Staking

Hey guys,

I just received a console woodgrain insert for my '69 top plate from Mustangs Unlimited.

There is a drill template that ambigiously references heat staking the insert pins.

I figured this has something to do with melting plastic but I have no experience in this area.

Can someone please enlighten me on this technique and any tools I might need to get the job done?

Regards,

Scott

Just guessing here but I imagine there are many small pins that engage small holes in the console. I would firmly seat the insert in the console, turn it all upside down, and hit each pin with a hot soldering iron to deform it enough to hold it in place. Don't over-do it, especially if you have a big iron. Just a quick "smush" and on to the next one. The plastic won't hurt your soldering iron and any residue will wipe off on a wet sponge. I wouldn't use any type of flame.

Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. It's like peening over the head of a steel rivet like they do in construction, pretty common in the manufacturing of a lot of plastic parts.

heated_tip.jpg