Sign in to follow this  
dawoodman

545 in a 69 fastback....

You'll have to come up with motor mounts. I believe there are 1 or 2 different manufacturers around of the motor mounts for putting a 429/460 block into a 67-70 Mustang. The engine will go in without modifications to the engine compartment. It's a tight fit. Not sure if someone is still making headers for that swap. I had a buddy in the 80's that dropped a 460 into a 70 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 speed car (he didn't have the original engine). It was a tight fit. But not terrible hard to do.

Edited by maxum96

You need to be prepared to do some serious Chassis Stiffening.....A fellow I know worked for Ford in the 60s to the present, and I was considering installing a 429 in my mach 1 and he and I had a long discussion about the pros and Cons of it all...Pros were pretty easy for me ....come on a 429 or bigger in our cars what more could you want, you would not have to rev it to the moon to make power and there is the cool factor ....The Cons "His opinion" Added weight = more work to get car to handle correctly, Even with the chassis work they did on Origional Boss 429 Cars, the ones that they really beat on ended up being twisted and in pretty bad shape, Damn near impossible to work on anything below the intake, and the list goes on....Our cars were just not made to be BB cars altho it can and is done alot. You may want to consider getting one of the many shock tower kits.....Either remove them completley like you do with a Mustang 2 suspension kit, or notch them with one of the other shock tower kits to give you more room to work with, OR at least add the reinforcement plates on the insides that have the wrap around pieces AND the flat plate pieces that go on the outside of the towers as well....Throw in a Complete Subrame Connector kit with X Bracing and Drive Shaft Loop And tie the torque Boxes in Some how, And Maybe consider at least a 6 point cage...That should keepo the car pretty straight :P

Thats just my 2 cents, I just didnt want to twist my car all up after i spent some much time making it perfect.....Just a side note, a friends small block car had never been wrecked that anyone could tell, but had just been abused since it was new....We noticed it appeared to sit a little funny in the rear no matter what we did to it...Took it to a frame shop and they pulled it all back where it was supposed to be and now it drives and sits better than it ever did....And this is a Small Block Car...Not trying to turn you off of doing a BB it is SUPER COOL, But be prepared to do some work to make your car stay together....Have known guys to pop out windshields and all manners of other fun stuff.

Mike

I just found MPG heads makes the kit for a drop in 460 based stroker. Just the thought of all that torque makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. cant help to think who else has done this

if anybody has pics please post to see which route Im gonna take.

I just found MPG heads makes the kit for a drop in 460 based stroker. Just the thought of all that torque makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. cant help to think who else has done this

if anybody has pics please post to see which route Im gonna take.

I bought the headers and mount kit from MPG, but don't have the engine back in it yet. The only downside I see to the kit is the fact that you move the engine forward more than some of the other mount setups.

I originally had 71 Mustang mounts in my car, and I am going to try and use them with the headers from MPG. I will let you know how it works out.

My car also has the TCP rack in it, and I will find out about header clearance on it as well.

Tim

I bought the headers and mount kit from MPG, but don't have the engine back in it yet. The only downside I see to the kit is the fact that you move the engine forward more than some of the other mount setups.

I originally had 71 Mustang mounts in my car, and I am going to try and use them with the headers from MPG. I will let you know how it works out.

My car also has the TCP rack in it, and I will find out about header clearance on it as well.

Tim